Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about buying a used GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:03 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

According to Ford sales figures, for 6 months ending 2008 compared to 6 months 2007,Mustang sales are down 29%. 07 was also down from 06 so Mustang sales are on a consistent downward trend. new Stangs garner a $4,000 rebate and you subtract that from invoice price because you don't pay more than invoice nor do you pay the dealer trying to make more profit fee aka "administration fee".

So, if you are looking to buy any product that sales are down 29% from the previous year, and overall sales are trending downward, what do you think that does to pricing? Naturally, they lower in order to incentivize potential buyers. So, the dealer is "asking" $16k, I'd be offering $14k and start from there.

In this market for SUV's stangs, big cars etc, KBB, Edmunds etc are all trailing far behind with respect to estimated values. Only a local wholesaler can tell you estimated market value because they deal in reality on a daily basis.

If you've bought and sold houses or cars before, then you know what sets prices. It isn't the seller.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Brand new cars have been bought for $23K. I got my used 06 w/4K miles on it for 21750 last Feb. If you ask me they want to much money for a car with that much mileage on it.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:22 PM
pwrl3ss
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
According to Ford sales figures, for 6 months ending 2008 compared to 6 months 2007,Mustang sales are down 29%. 07 was also down from 06 so Mustang sales are on a consistent downward trend. new Stangs garner a $4,000 rebate and you subtract that from invoice price because you don't pay more than invoice nor do you pay the dealer trying to make more profit fee aka "administration fee".

So, if you are looking to buy any product that sales are down 29% from the previous year, and overall sales are trending downward, what do you think that does to pricing? Naturally, they lower in order to incentivize potential buyers. So, the dealer is "asking" $16k, I'd be offering $14k and start from there.

In this market for SUV's stangs, big cars etc, KBB, Edmunds etc are all trailing far behind with respect to estimated values. Only a local wholesaler can tell you estimated market value because they deal in reality on a daily basis.

If you've bought and sold houses or cars before, then you know what sets prices. It isn't the seller.
Wow, that is a huge decline. But with the decline of SUV sales, I might get burned with my trade (05 Xterra) but I guess we'll see how that goes.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Used Stang

I'd ask for a new set of plugs, and tell them you want the old ones back. If they wouldn't do it, it would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

The s197 tends to have pugs that seize up easily so definitely get those replaced. While that is a GREAT deal and in a normal market I'd scoop it up immediately if I was trying to buy.. in this market, sales are so bad that you might be able to shave a few hundred off.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:04 PM
LS1less
1st Gear Member

If you get it for 14k out the door, that would be a steal!
Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 PM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwrl3ss
Yeah, it seems too good. The Carfax report shows it may have been sitting there since Sept. of last year :0 .
Sounds like it may have been ridden rough and put up wet.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:18 AM
jimreinarts
2nd Gear Member

why not look for one with lower miles 10-20k you will probably pay about the same.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:32 AM
9million
2nd Gear Member

Let us know what happens.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 AM
pwrl3ss
2nd Gear Member

Well, I went and test drove it. I really, really liked it BUT I have to do some thinking about it. The PO put in Flowmaster axle-backs and the dealer looks like they put new tires on it. But, and I'm probably be nit-picky, the driver's side quarter panel had a nice 12"x12" area scratched and slight dent to it. Plus some of the trim pieces in the interior was dangling around. The stereo's buttons were worn off. And there was beach sand inside and out of it. There was also a certain "funk" smell to it. I checked the fluids and they "looked" clean. But I didn't have a chance to check the plugs. I did get out on the freeway and it felt smooth as anything; didn't drift or hestitate.

I didn't get into numbers with the sales guy. I needed some time to think about. My concern is the mileage and warranty (it has none). Given the other minor-issues, if I was to get it for $15k, is that pretty fair? Or should get it for lower?

Quick Reply: Questions about buying a used GT