Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its it worth getting a tune? Or just a CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 11:01 PM
mandoq
3rd Gear Member

Default Its it worth getting a tune? Or just a CAI?

Hey guys & gals its it worth getting a tune and does it make a diffrence in power? Im currelty have a K & N CAI and im thinking about getting a custom sct tune from breendspeed. I have a 06 gt automatic. Does the tune damage the engine cuz your switching from 87 to 91 fuel? In the ford manual it says to only use 87 ? Who has the best tunes and which programmer its better SCT or DIABLO ? Also its the tune recommended for daily driving or its it just for racing?
Old 08-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Most CAI's require a tune. Those that don't require a tune aren't worth buying.

The tune is more beneficial for auto's than manuals just because it makes the trans shift so much better. Fast and stronger shifts which make the stang feel like a completely different car.

The tunes don't damage the engine and there are different tunes for each octane (87, 89, 91/93). The ford manual is talking about the stock tune which you'll be replacing so their info means nothing.

Best tuners out are BAMA and Brenspeed. SCT is the prefer programmer.

There are DD and Racing tunes but a lot of people use the Race tunes as their DD with no issues.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:09 PM
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

It will increase your power more then almost any other single mod besides supercharger. Also Ford says to only use 89 because that is what the engine is currently tuned for. Once you install the tune then it will be set to run on higher octane. Both tuners are good I think SCT is a little more advanced but both will do the job well!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:49 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mandoq
Hey guys & gals its it worth getting a tune and does it make a diffrence in power? Im currelty have a K & N CAI and im thinking about getting a custom sct tune from breendspeed. I have a 06 gt automatic. Does the tune damage the engine cuz your switching from 87 to 91 fuel? In the ford manual it says to only use 87 ? Who has the best tunes and which programmer its better SCT or DIABLO ? Also its the tune recommended for daily driving or its it just for racing?
Its worth getting a tune, and especially that you have an automatic transmission, it makes an even bigger difference. The tune will firm up the shift points and let the trans shift at a higher rpm than stock. Tune does not damage the engine at all. The manual says to use 87 because the conservative stock settings from the factory allow you to use 87. Going up to 93 is required because of the new settings in the new tune. In other words, stock, you can use 93 its a waste but you could . However with a 93 octane tune, you have to use 93, and you cannot use 87. I'd get the SCT/Brenspeed. Also, the tune is for everyday use as well as racing, its no problem.
I have an '06 GT automatic as well. I went with SCT, and the Steeda CAI. Boy, what a difference from stock! You'll love it!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:51 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

+1 on getting a tune for CAI and if a company has one that doesnt require a tune its for the looks. get a tune man. SCT is awesome and a lot of people on here have BAMA tunes, that are good. i have a VMP tune which is another tune you can look into. either way you are going to enjoy it.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:08 AM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

They're right, get a tune.

I use a Dakota for a winter driver, long distance cruiser, and tow vehicle. After about 50K miles, I used a tuner. Dang! I should have done that sooner. What a differance.

When I bough the new '08 Mustang, I used a tuner about 2 weeks after I bought it. Huge improvement in mileage and performance. Car runs great, and gets 32mpg on the highway (at high altitude).

I think for almost any computer controlled vehicle, an aftermarket tune is about the best thing you can do for drivability and performance. The factory tune is just way too conservative.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:24 AM
mandoq
3rd Gear Member

so, should I stick with the k & n cai or go with something else?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
project85
3rd Gear Member

Tune.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:03 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

GET THE TUNES~!

Big mega difference in your car....for the better.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:23 AM
ZeroIngold
2nd Gear Member

Get rid of the K&N and get a C&L racer with a tune. Never had an intake without a tune but it makes a big difference when it gets tuned.

Quick Reply: Its it worth getting a tune? Or just a CAI?