Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 GT Autos have been put on hold

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Whammer

Default 05 GT Autos have been put on hold

I had my order in for a GT automatic and it was suppose to be on the line in mid-may. The dealer called me tonight and told me that Ford has just sent out a notice saying that all GT autos have been put on hold. It's doubtful that they'll be making anymore this model year.
The dealer told me that earlier Ford had put a hold on IUP option due to supply problems and the auto tranny is suffering the same fate now.

The good news in the dealer checked around and found the Red Fire GT with auto at another dealer and it seems like I should be getting it next week- until the story changes yet again
I had wanted cloth interior but this one is equipped with charcoal leather- so I'll settle for that.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:20 AM
Earl
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 05 GT Autos have been put on hold

Don't know where you are but I looked at one tonite while checking on my sick GT at the dealership. Richardson, TX Premium GT Redfire with parchment leather interior. Auto tran, Shaker 1000 and upgraded rims. It's a perty car. Earl
Old 05-13-2005, 01:43 AM
riff

Check out my pics int GOT MINE thread. Mine is Redfire. Didn't put up pics of the interior but it has charcoal leather int. I think you will be happy with the combo.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:02 AM
mbkowns
1st Gear Member

lol that auto notice is bs just got mine weds and for some reason they made a duplicate order on it so I am getting two of mine to the dealer ones here now another will be here next week or so fyi

let me know
Old 05-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Whammer

Well I'm not sure why the dealer would lie- it could've cost them a sale.
Since the notice came out lastnight it would seem anything already on the line- like your car(s) would've been made.
It would seem that no 05 auto are going to be made- unless a supply of tranny's come in.
Not sure when the 06 production starts up but it must be in a few months, so it doesn't seem beyond reason that 05 autos might be on hold.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:39 AM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

i think ford just says that to keep the cost of the car higher..because if they say oh we've got plenty of gt's and everythign ready to go..the price will have to be dropped because there will be so many of them out there...makes sense doesnt it? keep people thinking they barely have enough parts to do it and cost stays the same for car...i bet they have a warehouse full of everything they need trannys and all...you realyl think they would have a production car for sale as big as the mustangs and not have planned for higher demand?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Hoose84
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChristopherCamel

i think ford just says that to keep the cost of the car higher..because if they say oh we've got plenty of gt's and everythign ready to go..the price will have to be dropped because there will be so many of them out there...makes sense doesnt it? keep people thinking they barely have enough parts to do it and cost stays the same for car...i bet they have a warehouse full of everything they need trannys and all...you realyl think they would have a production car for sale as big as the mustangs and not have planned for higher demand?
You would be surprised how poor automotive manufacturing planning really is. Also, I've seen mentioned that the transmission is a carryover. Well that's not entirely true. Every model year the engines and transmissions as assigned new part numbers and minor changes are made. Usually they are so small that they aren't noticeable (reduced part weight through change of material, etc). Sometimes these *minor* changes can cause huge problems. Also, if a flaw is caught and the production facility and they can't be absolutely sure when it began, they have to go back and assign a clean point and check every one done prior to that. Sometimes it's because Joe Bob wasn't at his work station for 20 minutes and no one caught that he wasn't putting in his part but more often it is the part manufacturer find that their <insert part here> has a quality issue and they have been shipping them out anyway.

I work for DCX/Ford/GM manufacturing plants and see it everyday. These suspect cars, if already built, will end up in containment. So if you get a VIN serialized and have to wait forever for your car, that is most likely where it is. Also, cars will never stay at the plant more than 3 days after built as Aged vehicles are frowned upon and get sent to Cassens (or whoever their shipper is) to sit on their lots instead.

That being said, I don't believe they will be held up for 3 months. It's just not realistic, nobody in upper management will let something like that fly. By corporate standard every job lost is considered truely lost revenue. (Where I'm at right now, if the line goes down for 52 seconds we've lost $5-8k in revenue).

Also Ford doesn't assign dealer cost, the dealer pays them X amount for whatever options and that's it. Ford as a corporation makes money by selling as many as fast as they can. Dealers on the other hand make their money based on how much markup they can get out of it, they are the ones who will tell you how bad things are to keep the cost high.

Hoose84
Old 05-13-2005, 12:31 PM
bigmustangfan

ORIGINAL: Hoose84

ORIGINAL: ChristopherCamel

You would be surprised how poor automotive manufacturing planning really is. Also, I've seen mentioned that the transmission is a carryover. Well that's not entirely true. Every model year the engines and transmissions as assigned new part numbers and minor changes are made. Usually they are so small that they aren't noticeable (reduced part weight through change of material, etc). Sometimes these *minor* changes can cause huge problems. Also, if a flaw is caught and the production facility and they can't be absolutely sure when it began, they have to go back and assign a clean point and check every one done prior to that. Sometimes it's because Joe Bob wasn't at his work station for 20 minutes and no one caught that he wasn't putting in his part but more often it is the part manufacturer find that their <insert part here> has a quality issue and they have been shipping them out anyway.

I work for DCX/Ford/GM manufacturing plants and see it everyday. These suspect cars, if already built, will end up in containment. So if you get a VIN serialized and have to wait forever for your car, that is most likely where it is. Also, cars will never stay at the plant more than 3 days after built as Aged vehicles are frowned upon and get sent to Cassens (or whoever their shipper is) to sit on their lots instead.

That being said, I don't believe they will be held up for 3 months. It's just not realistic, nobody in upper management will let something like that fly. By corporate standard every job lost is considered truely lost revenue. (Where I'm at right now, if the line goes down for 52 seconds we've lost $5-8k in revenue).

Also Ford doesn't assign dealer cost, the dealer pays them X amount for whatever options and that's it. Ford as a corporation makes money by selling as many as fast as they can. Dealers on the other hand make their money based on how much markup they can get out of it, they are the ones who will tell you how bad things are to keep the cost high.

Hoose84
Makes sense to me......

Old 05-13-2005, 12:43 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

yep makes sense..basically what i stated earlier..when i ordered my v6 5 speed stang..i got it in 5 weeks
Old 05-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Funny...

My dealer has heard nothing of the sort. they are getting one or two mustangs a week and everything seems fine to them.

I guess... as usual... wait and see what happens next!