Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing Products...What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 PM
pharmd2010
2nd Gear Member

Any of the top names are a good product to go with. It's just personal preference, IMO. But definitely don't use any silicone products on plastic pieces, like somebody else said. It WILL cause them to fade over time. I am speaking from personal experience, and as a former employee at a car detailing shop. I use the mothers back to black on my exterior black pieces, and meguiars leather conditioner on the leather.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:09 PM
tjs2906
1st Gear Member

I use the stuff from Groits garage. http://www.griotsgarage.com/ Works very good...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

I use a Meguiars for my interior, mothers back to black for the black moldings, Mother's Chrome polish for my GT's rims, and Aluminum polish for my Cobra rims. The Chrome polish also works great on exhaust tips as well. I use a variety of waxes for the exterior.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 AM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

For interior detailing, I use baby wipes. Most brands contain aloe which is excellent for leather conditioning. They are cheap to!!.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Never heard baby wipes before. You must have little kids.

I like Optimum Leather and Mothers Protectant for interior and vinyl top, and Optimum No-Rinse and Obsessive Wet Wax for exterior wash and shine.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

For the exterior, start by cleaning it really good with a mild detergent. Then get a product called Rejex (online). A couple coats of rejex and you are good for about 6 months for wax. Then pick up some Meguires quick detailer and some micro fiber cloths. At the end of the day, use your california duster to pick up the big stuff, then use the quick detailer and the micro fiber cloths to clean it up.. takes me maybe 2 minutes every night and I have not had to wash my car in 4 weeks and it looks ready for a show.

For interior I have been using meguires quick interior detail wipes on the plastic parts. They don't leave any greasy residue but they keep the parts clean. For the leather I have some stuff a friend got me that he sells. This stuff uses the natural fats found in leather to keep it supple, and unlike most leather treatments will not pull those fats out of the leather.

On the wheels I have been using a meguires wheel cleaner for the brake dust and any other crap that gets on the wheels, and then I hit it occasionally with some chrome polish.

I use a no-touch super wet spray for the tires (before I clean the wheels).

Under the hood I just use the Meguires interior wipes to touch up.. they work well.

Oh, and I use 303 aerospace for the convertible top.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

What do you guys use on your engines? I have my own little secret that cleans and shines like crazy!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine

Originally Posted by Grabber
What do you guys use on your engines? I have my own little secret that cleans and shines like crazy!!!
I have used a little simple green seems to work well.

For the poster above I have heard great things about the 303 protectant...where can you pick that up?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:21 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

Turtle Wax F21 for dash and plastics!
Use anything with UV protection cuz the sun will bake ur interior if its not protected correctly!! I used to use Armorall until a friend told me it fades and ultimately will crack your dashboard!!
As far as the leather seats i use Megs Gold Class leather cleaner!!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Got a question for you all... what do you all use to get some of the stubborn stuff off clear coated rims? Im guessing you cant use chrome pollish because its abbrasive.. am I correct?

Quick Reply: Detailing Products...What do you use?