Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLT II and 93 Race Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Twiztga
2nd Gear Member

Default JLT II and 93 Race Tune

I'm running the JLTII and 93 Race tune from Bama and I wanted opinions... I think I have some detonation, but it is very random. I can pull and pull and nothing then on one pull I hear it around 3-4k then by 5k its gone.

Doug is going to send me a modified tune to test it out but I'm looking for opinions? I would think if I was having an issue it would be all of the time.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Did you run through 2-3 tanks of 93 before installing the new intake/tune? The programming is very non linear for the spark advance, so if you are getting knock it doesnt necessarily have to happen at all rpms. Doug could have just run slightly too much timing in that rpm window. I wouldnt worry about it since doug and brent always seem to fix the tunes right away if people have problems.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Twiztga
2nd Gear Member

I ran it down on 87 to E, filled up w/ 93, ran it down to 1/4 filled up two times that way. It could be bad gas... I'm in NC and 93 isn't always 93.

I spoke with Doug he sent me a less aggressive tune that if it fixes it we can rest assured it was a detonation problem. The odd thing is; out of 8 pulls it may make the noise once, and its in the 3-4k range when it does it.

I'll try the less aggressive 93 tune and see how that goes, like Doug said every car is different. Though I'm tempted to try a different brand of gas but if its that tight on the timing I'm okay with losing 2HP as Doug states to eliminate it no matter where I fill up.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Twiztga
2nd Gear Member

Update: On the way home prior to loading the new tune Doug sent me I ran at variable speeds and took off from a slow up to 5k rpm shifts and heard nothing. I couldn't reproduce the noise I heard before so I'm more leaning to it being strange road noise.

I got home and loaded the new tune, and ran it a bit to see if I heard anything, which I wasn't expecting to as I didn't hear anything on the way home with the first race tune. As suspected nothing, the car did seem to run about the same but didn't idle run as smooth. It purrs with the original race tune on idle.

So I swapped to the 93 Torque tune which had the same timing settings and such as the race. No noise again either but I do love the Torque tune, it is fierce especially on the 1-2 shift. The Race chirps up to 3rd, the Torque does the same but on the 1-2 it rips it hard enough to shift the rear-end of the car.

Likely I'll stick with the Torque tune but Doug is going to send me back the original race tune.

The guys at Bamachips are very helpful and quick to respond and provide test files to troubleshoot.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

good to hear. I am in the market for a CIA & tune.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Twiztga
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vader GT
good to hear. I am in the market for a CIA & tune.
I'm sure others have had good luck and such from other products but from experience I would work with Bamachips anytime!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:00 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I have the exact same setup as you.
Gotta love Bamachips.

Do you have an automatic?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Twiztga
2nd Gear Member

Yep its an auto, I love the Torque tune! I'd give the race more hard hitting on gear with light throttle but the Torque hits just as hard when you want it to.

It is hard to describe but as long as I keep getting ->
That is all that matters.

Now if the Roush wheels will get here :|
Old 08-20-2008, 09:37 PM
jimreinarts
2nd Gear Member

twiz. thats the reason i went with the 91 race, tourque and per ,but i always run 93 in the tank , better safe than sorry!