Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500KR Carbon Fiber VIOLENT hood shake and water leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

While adjusting the four rubber bumbers is a good idea, GET HOOD PINS.
The twist lock as shown on the KR prototype look very clean, another option that I have only seen on one other Mustang, is the aerocatch ones, also very clean and flush looking.
As far as the water, don't you wash your engine?
I have always washed the engine and bay of every car I have owned, as long as you don't use high pressure it will be fine.
If there are any connections you are real worried about, pull them apart and coat with dielectric grease and plug back together.
Almost forgot if you have a cold air kit, put a plastic bag over the air filter.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I waited about 2 weeks after getting my afterm hood to install the pins. Adjusted the stops and everything and it still shook like elvis.

Had a couple of guys, like you, roll their windows down to tell me my hood wasn't shut. Installed the pins shortly thereafter. See my replies to your other posts about the water/pins issue.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

After all the threads already about hood shake without pins, I don't know why anyone would want to try having a aftermarket hood without them.

What it comes down to is this, would you rather resist drilling your hood and have the possibility of your hood flying up and smashing your windshield costing you thousands for a new hood and glass or would you rather put the holes in the hood? Should be a pretty easy question
Old 08-21-2008, 07:59 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Yes, check your hood bump stops and make sure they "all" make contact and get hood pins too! Hey Joe! Oh..almost forgot, on your water question don't even worry about it man its not a problem. I wash mine with high pressure washers all the time and I have "zero" problems. If you take a look at the placement of those heat extractors you will see that the water miss's anything electrical and the only parts of your engine that get wet are the very same parts that get wet from your tires throwing water up into the engine when its raining so your good to go bro!

Last edited by CutterWolf; 08-21-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:05 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys i learned a lot about my car/hood from your advice. So, i will be definitely be getting hood pins. So now the question is which ones do you think would look good with the carbon fiber , where to get them, and do all hood pins install in the same area/place?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
jbhunter
1st Gear Member

I guess I will have to break down and do it.

I have been watching this set because I like the way it is designed
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...256171387&rd=1

I also like the look of these, best price so far is around $87
http://www.partscheap.com/Mustang_Ho...-6316892-k.htm

And then I can't see a close up of the hood to know if I like the top, but Joe Heck Racing has a billet bracket and pins listed also .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-08...spagenameZWD1V
Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Does anyone else have any suggestions/links ? How about some pictures of the installation result, i wanna see how they look!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I've got the Sparco "captive" style like they use on the Miller Cup cars. Nothing to fall off or lose. I'll take some pics when I get home.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPARC...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 08-22-2008, 01:47 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
Thanks guys i learned a lot about my car/hood from your advice. So, i will be definitely be getting hood pins. So now the question is which ones do you think would look good with the carbon fiber , where to get them, and do all hood pins install in the same area/place?

As far as what looks good on CF will have to be answered by you since everyone has their own opinion on what looks good or not. But I can tell you that Shelby makes billit ones in black that you mite like on it which are the same ones I have but of course mine are just plain billit in color. Install area is also up to you, the Shelby ones come with a mounting brackit that you can put where ever you want or you can just drill holes in your radator support and place the pin that way too. Sorry there is no one answer for your two questions.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Where'd you get the hood from?

Quick Reply: GT500KR Carbon Fiber VIOLENT hood shake and water leak