Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else tired of shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 02:28 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I'm just learning to shift the gears in mine, and it really is fun once you get the hang of it. I have to be honest, I still get apprehensive at times. I find myself wanting squeal out if someone is behind me. I suppose it's just going to take time.

I can understand what the OP is saying....if I were driving the standard everyday, in and out of town, that would be a lot of shifting.

My white car is an automatic, and I dearly love that car. I know everyone has different tastes, but the automatic transmission has it's place too......(first place at the dragway!)

Old 08-26-2008, 02:30 PM
jimreinarts
2nd Gear Member

(ARE YOU KIDDING ME) IMO a sports car or muscle car without a manual doesn't deserve to be called one!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Not tired of shifting mine ...
Old 08-26-2008, 03:13 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I can't say I ever get sick of shifting mine but then again it isn't my daily driver so it doesn't see city traffic often. Although, my first GT was a manual and my daily driver but I never got sick of shifting it. They are just too much dang fun!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:17 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

OK, let's trade cars!!!

Of course you can do burnouts in the auto! I would figure if you were going to be doing alot of drag racing at the track, that you'd want an auto, not a stick.

Man, I wish I had a manual, you're lucky, believe me, auto gets BORING! I got an '06 leftover that of course was an auto, so with the great deal I was getting, it was auto Mustang or no Mustang, so I got the auto. Its not real bad, but I'd rather the stick. All my other cars were stick, incl. my C5 I'm screwed b/c I can't afford to trade in for a manual, but I'm researching the auto to manual swap.

BTW "Tired of shifting"? You gotta be kidding me! Shifting any manual shift car made in the last 20 or so years is so easy, the clutch is soft. Now if you drove my '72 'Cuda,(my first car waaay back when), now thats shifting! That clutch is just a tad harder to push to the floor than the new cars!!!

Last edited by JimsGT; 08-26-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:22 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimsGT
OK, let's trade cars!!!

Of course you can do burnouts in the auto! I would figure if you were going to be doing alot of drag racing at the track, that you'd want an auto, not a stick.

Man, I wish I had a manual, you're lucky, believe me, auto gets BORING! I got an '06 leftover that of course was an auto, so with the great deal I was getting, it was auto Mustang or no Mustang, so I got the auto. Its not real bad, but I'd rather the stick. All my other cars were stick, incl. my C5 I'm screwed b/c I can't afford to trade in for a manual, but I'm researching the auto to manual swap.

BTW "Tired of shifting"? You gotta be kidding me! Shifting any manual shift car made in the last 20 or so years is so easy, the clutch is soft. Now if you drove my '72 'Cuda,(my first car waaay back when), now thats shifting! That clutch is just a tad harder to push to the floor than the new cars!!!
Where are you at I'll trade you for my manual, 05 mineral grey GT 28k miles.

Last edited by smythge; 08-26-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:28 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

smythge, I'm in NJ, and I was not being literal. (Plus I have an '06 w/ 21k miles!) But thanks for the offer!

luckydawg, to be honest, test driving an auto, stock, without a tune...you'll hate it!!!

At least rent the GTH for a day if you can.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:30 PM
VistaStangGT
1st Gear Member

I'm on both sides on this one. I have a stick and love it on the street. However, had I known I was going to get addicted to bracket racing, I would have gotten an auto. It's hard to be as consistent as an auto when you have the human factor of shifting the car. I am curently looking into doing an auto conversion jsut because of the drag racing aspect.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimsGT
smythge, I'm in NJ, and I was not being literal. (Plus I have an '06 w/ 21k miles!) But thanks for the offer!

luckydawg, to be honest, test driving an auto, stock, without a tune...you'll hate it!!!

At least rent the GTH for a day if you can.
I knew you were kidding. Actually I have had 3 of the s197s. 06 V6 auto (talk about a dog), 07 GT auto and now the 05 GT manual I like the control I have with the Manual but really would prefer the auto.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:14 PM
9million
2nd Gear Member

Is yours a DD? For daily driving, I prefer the AUTO. If I had a beater, I would have definately picked up a M5 stang instead of the auto. Also, im sure drive by wire contributes to your jerky response.

Quick Reply: Anyone else tired of shifting?