Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Buying Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 AM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Lightbulb Extended Warranty Buying Tips

I own a 2005 Ford Mustang GT and have 71,000 miles on it. At 34k I purchased the Ford ESP 500+ 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. There is a trick to doing this and getting a good price.

Each state has a regulated price. For example, Ford in Florida could sell it no less and no more than around $2500 for my selected plan. I called a few dealers in the area and they all are regulated by that cost.

Here is the hint- each STATE is regulated.

I called a Ford dealer in every state of the U.S. and found that Ohio has a very competitive price on the same package. I paid $1400 for mine and financed it through Ford (Budco).

My first piece advice is this. Go with an extended warranty. It isn't that bad of a price and covers 500+ components that all average around $1000 to repair.

My second is to shop around and don't believe everything you hear. The dealer in another state may be skeptical and may have to check with the factory rep but I promise it is perfectly ok to purchase your ESP from another state. You can say that you were "visiting" and wanted to buy there. It is good at any Ford dealer in the country.

SHOP AROUND = SAVED MONEY!

Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Tip #1: Don't buy it (unless you have totally NO faith that your car's not a POS)
Old 08-26-2008, 11:42 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

Default Extended Warranty

Tip#2: See Tip#1
Old 08-26-2008, 11:49 AM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Those are very narrow minded views. A lot of users on this forum don't have a bank full of money and unexpected repairs can destroy someones budget and/or credit. If they even have any.

I agree our cars are built perfect. I have never had a problem. But, in the rare case that something does go wrong, I can have it taken care of worry free.

Plus, ESP's can be financed. It is easier for someone that works hard every day on a limited amount of income to afford 60-80 bucks a month compared to a $1800 repair.

I enjoy driving a car that is built well and is protected in case something else goes wrong.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm not saying anything derogatory nor do I consider myself narrow minded. Simply put, I don't believe in extended warranties. I'm sure they work for a few people but IMO they're a waste. But that's just my 2 cents...
Old 08-26-2008, 12:10 PM
JoeTheSlacker

Extended warranties are good if you know what you are buying and how to buy it. First off it is cheaper to buy an extended warranty when you buy the car. Second, don't wait until after your factory warranty runs out, the extended will cost you more money AND it most areas you will have to pay for a additional inspection to make sure the car doesn't need any repairs. If the inspection finds that you have certain things that need to be fixed, then you have to pay to fix them before you can get the warranty.

There are several different warranties that can be purchased, by several different companies. You don't always have to buy Fords extended warranty. Each company have their own prices and terms. And "Regulated" isn't exactly the word. The extended warranties have a kinda of "MSRP" and they have a cost to the dealership as well. So buying one is like buying the car, they is a happy middle ground that you can reach.

They aren't wastes of money. You can get them that are basically Bumper-To-Bumper coverage and take them up til 100k miles. Heck, we have ones that are great and you can finance them seperate from the car WITH 0% interest. That's what my Mustang is getting.

The key is just doing your research.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
JoeTheSlacker

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'm not saying anything derogatory nor do I consider myself narrow minded. Simply put, I don't believe in extended warranties. I'm sure they work for a few people but IMO they're a waste. But that's just my 2 cents...
You think GAP insurance is a waste too?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:33 PM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

GAP = absolute security
Old 08-26-2008, 12:59 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

GAP purchased from the dealer is a rip off.

my insurance company has gap insurance, that is an extra cost over the regular policy, for like $6/yr. and i can cancel it any time.

Originally Posted by JoshyGT
GAP = absolute security
Old 08-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoeTheSlacker
There are several different warranties that can be purchased, by several different companies. You don't always have to buy Fords extended warranty. Each company have their own prices and terms. And "Regulated" isn't exactly the word. The extended warranties have a kinda of "MSRP" and they have a cost to the dealership as well. So buying one is like buying the car, they is a happy middle ground that you can reach.
Actually there are regulated as they are considered insurance policies. Don’t believe, check with your state’s insurance commissioner. And as buying an extended warranty that is not from the manufacturer, Ford, is risky. They may not cover the exact part that is on your car. I had an Acura that needed work. It needed a part replaced of its anti lock brakes. Acura called the part an actuator, but the warranty coverage anti lock brakes and listed the parts that it covered. Actuator was not listed, but hydraulic pump was listed. Took two weeks with a factory rep and extended warranty company rep meeting at the dealership to confirm that is was the same thing, just named different. Two weeks without a car.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Buying Tips