Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple HO kit Q'a need some A's

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Default Whipple HO kit Q'a need some A's

I just bought A Whipple HO kit the only thing the kit did not come with was the fuel pump and Spark plugs. I dont plan on going more than 450hp on a Bama chips tune. I know this kit could put much more than that. I'm wondering if I could install with kit w/o the fuel pump and do this later. Does anyone know what the stock fuel pump could handle? What is the stock fuel pump rated at? I apprehensive about the KB b/p because I've heard that they fail or have a tendency of failing. Those with the Whipple HO kit or S/C please chime in.

Thanks

JP

AKA
Loots06
Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

You might be able to get away with the stock fuel pump if you mean 450 crank hp, but you will be on the edge.

You should either get a BAP or the GT-500 pumps.

I would go GT-500 as that is what the kit is designed for and they are a direct replacement. You just bought a S/C dont skimp on fuel. Whether it be pumps or what you put in the tank.

Good Luck
Old 09-03-2008, 01:44 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Its not worth the risk. The GT 500 pump ensures it can keep up with the engine's new voracious appetite for fuel at wide open throttle. If you run too lean your engine will go boom. So get the pump and get the plugs and rest easy that you have done what you need to keep the motor together. I assume you bought this used? If not, why did the kit come without the HO parts? I assume you got the uprated injectors? Also I assume you got the predator tune with the kit as its no use to the former owner?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

agreed, GT500 dual pump kit would be #1 choice.

but if you don't want to get it, get the Kenne Bell
Boost A Pump, 38 or 39lb injectors and HT0 plugs.

this would be similar to the saleen stage 3 setup:

http://www.brenspeed.com/saleenstage3.html
Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

dont skimp on supporting mods. they'll only come back to haunt you later. go w/ gt500 fp and 38 or 39# inj. and HTO plugs. you dont just want the SC to work, but work well.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:42 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by loots06
I just bought A Whipple HO kit the only thing the kit did not come with was the fuel pump and Spark plugs. I dont plan on going more than 450hp on a Bama chips tune. I know this kit could put much more than that. I'm wondering if I could install with kit w/o the fuel pump and do this later. Does anyone know what the stock fuel pump could handle? What is the stock fuel pump rated at? I apprehensive about the KB b/p because I've heard that they fail or have a tendency of failing. Those with the Whipple HO kit or S/C please chime in.

Thanks

JP

AKA
Loots06
If you keep the RWHP down to 450 or less the stock fuel pump can handle it fine and make sure you buy the new plugs. I might catch hell for that but mine and others run that way and I have not had a hiccup yet. Sure the duty cycle might be higher and that poses a risk at some point but I too planned on upgrading and did and it still is not installed as of yet....the mods keep piling up and I have no time to get them installed?! My tuner states and I quote
the stock fuel pump is used on all my shop cars and I run 550 RWHP all the time and track the car 30+ times a year....sure I have blown motors but it was never due to the stock fuel pump.....for safety of your investment the stock fuel pump is rated for 500 HP
and I never asked him if that was RWHP or at the crank. I assumed that it was RWHP because that is the bottom line for him and he never talked crank numbers with me. Take it for what it is worth. His last 07 blew because he upped the boost (16+ on the whipple) and was running meth and the meth inj failed and he blew the motor at the 1000' mark.....

EDIT: I failed to mention I have 60# injectors as well and the car has been dynoed more than once and had to be re tuned cause she was running rich at 6000 rpms....this was with the stock pump and no BAP after the retune the cold start up thing was resolved and the car had 10 more RWHP....final numbers listed below

Last edited by mygt500; 09-03-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:50 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by onederful100
dont skimp on supporting mods. they'll only come back to haunt you later. go w/ gt500 fp and 38 or 39# inj. and HTO plugs. you dont just want the SC to work, but work well.
I do agree with all of the above and onederful100 (like the others) make very valid points but it can be done and PM me if you want other names as I believe some don't want this to turn into an ugly debate when really it is up to the owner of the car to decide what to do based on our opinions. I recommend the GT500 pumps to anyone but also wanted to give MY experience on what I am running and how she performs.

I also know in the back of my mind that if other components fail or the fuel pump that I CAN afford to replace the motor and go forged sooner than I planned. I think everyone that has FI should have at least considered this before going FI even with the GT500 pumps and BAP's and bigger injectors or fuel lines and fuel rails etc

and remember it's JMO

Last edited by mygt500; 09-03-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:05 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

I hate the word kaboom, I dont want my motor to do that. From what I have read the stock fuel pump is rated at 500hp and yes it does not state if that is at the crank or at the rear wheels. From the looks of thing I'll be going with the GT500 fuel pump kit. Dam this was suppose be to on a budget but it looks like it will put my at around 4900.00 for the whole kit. That is with me and a buddy doing the work. I'll be sure to take my time.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:18 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Wise decision but for that price w/o install is a very good one to say the least....remember that whipple is going up about a grand!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:54 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

GT500 pump FTW! I'd shop around though and try to find the best deal lol cuz there are some sites that advertise a LOT and have higher prices than the shops that don't advertise much online...and they don't always show up on page 1 of a google or yahoo search

Quick Reply: Whipple HO kit Q'a need some A's