Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nail in Tire--Do I Replace 1, 2 etc?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:10 PM
illegalalias

Default Nail in Tire--Do I Replace 1, 2 etc?

I discovered a nail in my rear tire, about 1 inch from the side wall. I took it to a repair shop and they told me they won't repair that close to the side wall and I should get it replaced.

My car has 15,000 on it now. The treads are a little less than 1/4".

Is it worth replacing one tire? Should I replace all?

The TPMS alerted me that the tire(s) were low and I discovered the nail.

I would appreciate some advice before I start calling the tire shops. Thank you~!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Balys
1st Gear Member

In my opinion I would take the opportunity to get a new rim and tire set if the cash flow allows. If not then yes just replace that one tire I would say.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:32 PM
illegalalias

Originally Posted by Balys
In my opinion I would take the opportunity to get a new rim and tire set if the cash flow allows. If not then yes just replace that one tire I would say.

Dumb question--why do I need a new rim?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:34 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I was told that also.
1/4 inch from the sidewall.
I plugged it and went on my way
never to have anymore trouble from that tire.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:39 PM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

If it's on the surface that the tire runs on then I would just plug it. If it was a tire shop then it sounds like he was trying to make a bigger sale. Buy a kit and do it yourself if you have a compressor.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Icculus88

ya same here, i had a nail aobut 1 1/2 " from sidewall, patched it and it leaked for about 1000 miles but then stopped, ive had the patch for at least 7500 miles.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If you're going to replace the tire, replace them in a pair. With the amount of tread left you have, it would not make sense to just replace the one tire. You could try to patch it yourself but keep in mind the best patches require the tire to be removed from the rim and then use a patch/plug combo to take care of the hole.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:08 PM
illegalalias

Originally Posted by 157db
I was told that also.
1/4 inch from the sidewall.
I plugged it and went on my way
never to have anymore trouble from that tire.
Cool.

That is what I am going to try.

I called the stealership to see if they had one in stock (no-WTF?!) and the parts guy ended up telling me to call a local tire shop since he couldn't get the tire for 5 days!

The local tire guy told me he could probably patch it. Go figure. He said the dealer would tell me anything to sell me a tire. Duh.

Monday, if I have to replace it, they'll have it in (ordered it today) and he'll try to patch it first. Seemed honest over the phone.

I know if it's on the sidewall itself it has to be replaced. This nail is in the first thread. The big thick one. Closer to the inner edge of it. It is a nail head about 3/8" wide so the nail can't be thick. It is still in there, I can't and won't try to get it out.

Anyway, I really appreciate and thank you all for the feedback. Mustang owners are the best.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:12 PM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

I had the same issue, my step sisters boyfriend works at a Dealership and he pulled the tire of and patched it...no issues...cover the inside with some sort of glue crap as well.

I have a nail in an other tire now and I am just leaving it...hasn't been an issue...so that is an option as well.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:12 PM
illegalalias

Originally Posted by Derf00
If you're going to replace the tire, replace them in a pair. With the amount of tread left you have, it would not make sense to just replace the one tire. You could try to patch it yourself but keep in mind the best patches require the tire to be removed from the rim and then use a patch/plug combo to take care of the hole.
Really? Darn. That is what I kind of figured.

I am not going to fix it myself. The tire shop will. If I have to replace, I'd rather replace the two. I kind of figured that with 15k milage on it would seem uneven to replace just one. Even replacing two seems like doing it semi...not all the way.

I'll see what the tire guy says on Monday and I get the feeling I'll be plugging it if I can. If not, I'll be replacing two.

I appreciate the help. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Nail in Tire--Do I Replace 1, 2 etc?