Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else getting to the point where....

Old 09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
pharmd2010
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
+1 living life to the fullest

there's no way someone in my position (21 years old, college senior) would normally enter into a 4+ year strenuous financial commitment for a $25,000 piece of instantaneous depreciative automotive machinery...unless it was an absolute passion in their life. my friends all think i'm on drugs and that i am ruining my life by taking on this financial burden.

all i have to do is turn the ignition, and i know i made the absolute right decision.
I know what ya mean man! I am currently a second year pharmacy school student and if I'm lucky I'll graduate with about $200,000 in loans. But I have a passion for fast cars, so I couldn't resist adding about another $18k in debt. My 06 GT is my only car, so it gets driven in every condition and every day. I'm only at about 21k miles right now, but it goes up a lot everyday. I will save the OCD for when I graduate and get the REAL car of my dreams... a 02-04 Z06! I'm definitely not as concerned about keeping the miles off my GT as I would be something else of greater value. It is a nice car, great for satisfying my needs of having something kind of fast and be very dependable.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Mine is a DD with ~ 10k miles on it and I take great pride in keeping it looking good as much as I can, weather permitting. I'm fortunate to have a garage and to work a few miles from home.

I get asked all the time if it's new, when I tell them it's an '06, they're even more impressed. It's even more impressive as the car gets older and it looks better than when it rolled off the dealership lot.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:32 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

im a freak with everyone of my cars but yea i know what you mean
Old 09-08-2008, 10:39 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

I know exactly what you mean. I ride my motorcycle (Custom Victory Vegas) to work when the weather is nice. I used to drive my '06 everyday. After putting money into various go fast parts, wheels, custom paint, and interior, I don't think i could handle it if some *** clown banged into the side of my car with their door. I had a shopping cart roll across the parking lot (all the way to the back 40...so it had some speed) three days after i bought it. It put a little crease right next to the GT emblem. That shopping cart is no longer with us!
Don't get me wrong, i got 40k on the odometer and i've loved every mile. Interstate, track, or city, i've loved driving it.

I got an 89lx ragtop that i'm building (306, JE pistons, RPM II, Edelbrock alum. heads, 75mm EGR/TB/Mass Air, 1.7rr's, trash talkin' lunati cam 285in./291ex. with .526"/.523", BBK pulleys/CAI, headers, o/r xpipe, macs cat-back, 24lb. inj., TCI 3000stall, 3.73's, 31 spline mosers, auburn diff, MSD coil/ign/distr., alum. DS, elec. fans, etc.) Should be a lot of fun. I'm toying with the idea of a 'lil non-intercooled vortech or paxton with 5-6psi. Still deciding on brakes and whether or not to convert to 5 lug. The GT will still come out to play though.

Right now it's too hot and humid to bring out the '65. She'll get to stretch her legs in the fall when it cools off a bit.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I know it's just a mustang and not an enzo. But for some of us we may never have anything nicer. Therefore we try hard to take care of it. The winters are quite often ugly here where I live and I don't want to drive the car on crap roads. One great reason to have a DD. Another reason would be that the roads are packed going to and from work. Hardly a fun environment to drive a car in. DD comes in handy there as well.

Unfortunately my DD (90 civic) has a bad alternator and it's up on jackstands right now. Honda makes you move the axle just to get the alternator out from underneath. And at the moment we're having one hell of a time getting the axle out of the way.

The mustang sleeps in the garage and comes out twice a week for a joy ride of about 20-25 miles. I really wish I had the money for a Corvette Z06 - in which case the Mustang would be the DD.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

For me....... This is the other car I bought to preserve another
Old 09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Until this summer I did not drive mine much.
Then the AC went out in my Saturn so this became my daily driver.
I have had a blast with my mustang this summer, but there is a special feeling once you have driven the Saturn for 5 days and back the Mustang out of the garage : )

When the weather cools off / winter gets here my Mustang goes into and stays in the garage.

97 Saturn with 160000 miles in winter.
05 Mustang in summer.

Sounds good to me.

If my Saturn dies or gets hit in the winter or something - I will buy another cheap little used Saturn to do the same thing with.