Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gone batty with the mods bug

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:08 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

you got it
Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

I just spent alot of cash on a s/c. I know your feeling....I cant freakin wait until the parts get here.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:41 PM
nelias7306
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by loots06
I just spent alot of cash on a s/c. I know your feeling....I cant freakin wait until the parts get here.
i'm so itchin to get the dam gear and cams in...

seriously though i'm thinkin bout goin broke this week cause once i had the differential off that just opened up sooooooo many possibilities for suspension/handling mods. while it's off i could put in billet urethane lca's, steeda lowering springs, urethane bushings, aluminum solid driveshaft, man the possibilities are endless and it'll minimize wheel hop and my bank account.... gonna think it out long and hard
Old 09-09-2008, 11:57 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

the drive shaft will really be nice lol
Old 09-10-2008, 09:56 AM
nelias7306
1st Gear Member

here's the procedure to get the differential out for anyone who's interested

you need:

a HUGE breaker bar about 2 1/2 -3 feet in length
15mm socket
18mm socket
10mm socket
rachet

chock the front wheels to prevent roll

jack the back up on the differential and put jack stands on the body

when you're done take the wheels off and now take the wheel speed sensor off by the brakes so it does not rip

here's a pic of it hanging after removing the bolt i just had to pull it out no problems there

next make sure tension is off the e-brake and take the tension clip off, wasn't too hard

after that push the cable off of the mount and you can then get it off the assembly

see how it disengaged? now you twist the cable off. repeat for the other side

next take the calipers off with the brackets as a whole assembly using 15mm sockets then hang them on the body

next take the sway baroff, you'll need to take the bolts on the differential and body off with the differential sitting at the very bottom to relieve tension (from here on is where i wish i had air tools it was easy getting the bolts to break off but then ihad to use a rachet to get it off quickly)

after doing both sides it came right out now put it aside

next take the panhard bolt off first take the cover off then the bolt on the differential and the bolt on the body. i had to pry down on the panahard at the body to get it off then put it aside

now we need to get the shock absorber bolts off so we can get the springs out

after removing the bolt push the shock absorbers in and put the bolt with the nut back on in the original position so you don't lose them

now lower the differential all the way down till the jack falls off it, you have to push it down alittle further by hand and the springs will come right out. make sure to put the springs back in the original position

next loosen the bolt on the trailer arm using a 21mm socket. just loosen it for now

Old 09-10-2008, 09:56 AM
nelias7306
1st Gear Member

next make a mark on the pinion flange using a 10mm socket so you put it back correctly and take off all six bolts note: i had to put it in drive the get them off and then put in neutral to rotate and gain access to the next bolt. take off the set aside

now loosen the lower control arm bolts which are the blue bolts you see up top(at this point i put it on jack stands so it wouldn't fall on me)

set the diff on jack stands and take the trailer arm bolt off (i used a hammer it's on tight!!! and also it will spring up so be ready it scared the crap outta me also at this point the differential got unstable so i had to hold it and it is not light so having a friend or two would help at this point

next pry the push the lower control arms down and now it should be loose. bee careful moving it, here's the final product here... then when i get the ring and pinion i'll be doing the dissambly of the diff and the measurements... should be fun!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 AM
nelias7306
1st Gear Member

Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

It adds up quick, doesn't it....? I still have a few things I'd like to do to my white car....my biggest thing is finding competent mechanics in this area. For instance....I paid dearly to have my gears installed, only now to have a gear whine and there is question whether or not I EVEN GOT THE RIGHT GEARS INSTALLED!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 AM
nelias7306
1st Gear Member

dam saddleup that sux i'd be pissed... the gear whine is usually caused by an incorrect pinion depth which i'm gonna explain later how to figure out.

but if the wrong gears were installed that's a problem too

btw yer stangs are awsome wish i had the gt500

i got the gears today, now just waiting on the installation kit. i should be starting it friday and then finishing saturday hopefully
Old 09-11-2008, 12:57 AM
nelias7306
1st Gear Member

like you said find a comepetent mechanic and if the right gears were put in hopefully it wasn't too far off and he can adjust the pinion depth if the wrong gears were put in or if it's FUBAR sue!!!!!!

Quick Reply: gone batty with the mods bug