Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Vapor / Roush Hood Scoop Question

Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM
jvecero3
2nd Gear Member

Default 2008 Vapor / Roush Hood Scoop Question

Hey Everyone -

I have an '08 in the Vapor and this weekend I purchased a Roush hood scoop to be bolted onto it.

I checked with the shop that does my work for me, and the guy told me that it will be no problem, but he wanted to let me know that the colors may not match up "exactly" right. He said that due to the fact that the hood is aluminum and the scoop is fiberglass, the paint will not match exactly. When I asked him how much the difference would be, he said that it would not be much, and you would probalby only be able to tell when the sun hits it at a certain angle.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any pictures or opinions as to how much the difference is?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

you should be fine
Old 09-08-2008, 02:03 PM
jvecero3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
you should be fine
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Out of curiosity, why do you say that, though?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
06VALimer

Paint can lay/look different on different types of materials. I'm no paint/body work expert but I have seen it on cars that I have owned in the past... cars that were purchased brand new from the dealership. It also seems like it's more prevalent in paints that have metal flake in them. Go outside and look at your car in the sun from different angles... you'll probably find a slight difference in color between your hood, fenders and bumper since the hood/fenders are metal and the bumper is a polymer.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:29 PM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

I just bought my new '08 about 6 weeks ago, and to my surprise when I picked it up there was a Roush scoop on the hood (I'd requested a GT scoop). Generally, I like the look of it. But the design of the scoop does not allow the front to sit down on the hood very securely. You can see a small gap between the front "wings" and the hood, and there's no way to attach it securely. The Roush scoops only bolt from the rear, leaving the front "wings" to just lay there. I'm bringing mine back to the dealer tomorrow for a GT or flat hood.

Make sure you check all this out before drilling holes in your hood. It's a big enough problem for me to change hoods.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:40 PM
jvecero3
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fullboogie
I just bought my new '08 about 6 weeks ago, and to my surprise when I picked it up there was a Roush scoop on the hood (I'd requested a GT scoop). Generally, I like the look of it. But the design of the scoop does not allow the front to sit down on the hood very securely. You can see a small gap between the front "wings" and the hood, and there's no way to attach it securely. The Roush scoops only bolt from the rear, leaving the front "wings" to just lay there. I'm bringing mine back to the dealer tomorrow for a GT or flat hood.

Make sure you check all this out before drilling holes in your hood. It's a big enough problem for me to change hoods.
Wow, thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check this out.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:43 PM
MAH

I like my Roush scoop. Any good body shop will color match to your car. Mine sprayed a test panel on some scrap and tinted to compace it to the hood. When its right they shot the scoop. I think I paid $120 for paint and install, by the way as for the wings no 2 sided sticky tape they make a produce called panel bond. Just dont plan on ever removing it.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:00 PM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

I really like the look of my scoop too. But just about everyone who's seen my new car eventually points to the front of the scoop and asks why there is a gap. Perhaps the dealer can fix it tomorrow - but if not, I'm having a flat hood installed so I can buy a different scoop.

Just wanted the OP to be aware of this issue.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

Don't worry too much about the color not matching. You probably won't even be able to tell the difference. If you ever see a Roush p-51 mustang in person (also vapor in color) pay special attention to the hood scoop, rear window vents, and spoiler, the color is way off. Most people don't even notice.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06VALimer
Paint can lay/look different on different types of materials. I'm no paint/body work expert but I have seen it on cars that I have owned in the past... cars that were purchased brand new from the dealership. It also seems like it's more prevalent in paints that have metal flake in them. Go outside and look at your car in the sun from different angles... you'll probably find a slight difference in color between your hood, fenders and bumper since the hood/fenders are metal and the bumper is a polymer.

Hope that helps.
sorry i was so short before but he gave you the righ answer sometime it will be hart to find a color diff but there is on every car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Vapor / Roush Hood Scoop Question