Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panhard Bar VS Watt's Link? Weight difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:43 PM
buffguy
2nd Gear Member

Default Panhard Bar VS Watt's Link? Weight difference?

Anyone been able to measure the weight difference between the panhard bar and brace compared to the saleen watt's link? I don't track the car. Would there be any need for the watts link? Maybe inprove traction on the street?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Ring of Fire
1st Gear Member

watts link will improve traction slightly more than a panhard bar
Old 09-08-2008, 03:27 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

I think the one or two watts systems i've seen are both listed around the $1K mark, versus a panhard bar is usually around $130-$160 depending on what you're going for (ie double adjustable with rod/poly, aluminum...)

Ask yourself if its worth going one way over another and you should have your answer
Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The Watts link will weigh more without a doubt. Although I don't have numbers the PHB and brace weigh practically nothing, they are very light. Overall its probably negligible difference though, not something you are going to feel.

Regards performance - I personally have not driven a Watts link setup but have talked to and read posts from those who have. The consensus is for a Track car it may be worth the money if a) you are a good enough driver to exploit it and b) care about the small diff in laps times it may provide. For a street car I'd say the jury is out, some folks claim it makes the rear end feel more "planted" others think its a waste of money. IMO the only people who can really answer this accurately are ones who have considerable high performance (i.e. more than just normal street) driving experience with both systems. I know "F1Fan" qualifies (although he seems to be on sabatical recently) as does "Sam Strano". You might try PMing them.

The Fays2 Watts link is about $650, the Steeda about $1000.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:21 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

My Saleen Watts link with all nuts and bolts, pumpkin cover weighed 41lbs.

The removed Steeda rear swaybar, HD links, Panhard bar and brace plus the stock pumpkin cover and the stock sheet metal boxing weighed 35lbs.

The original Mustang GT stamped iron rear swaybar, links, panhardbar and brace together removed originally weighed the most at 51lbs.

So at least with the Saleen rear "watts link" solution you are saving about 10lbs from stock, and getting more stabilty in turns with bumps and hitting the gas out of turns. Erik
Old 09-08-2008, 06:26 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

To clarify, I had the watts link replace the all steeda swaybar, panhard bar and brace, which before that replaced the incredibly heavy stamped metal parts from Ford.

The stock panhard bar and brace seemd like weight lifting bars they were so heavy, really!

The watts link is the winner hands down for handling, the car simply stays on the ground now, period. Erik