Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me please.. this is getting old..

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:13 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default help me please.. this is getting old..

alright..

i have Pypes mid mufflers with an O/R H.. i recently have been noticing more and more that it trumpets like hell when i get on it.. to the point it sounds like freakin crap.. but then, the other day, FOR SOME REASON!?!.. i dunno if stuff shifted from a bump, or what.. but it went away.. no matter what i did the trumpeting was gone, and could not get it to come back, and the exhaust sounded great.. a tid bit deeper and smoother.. then the next day, the trumpeting bull-sh*t was back!???!!!!!!!

sooo.. im pretty much done with that.. heres some routes im thinking about taking..

- Call up the guy who does my exhaust work, and ask him if he has any ideas to get rid of it!? i heard a while back someone had resonators installed but displaced rather then inline and right next to each other, and im pretty that it cured the problem..

- throw my stock mufflers on along with the mid mufflers and see how that works.. (im actually thinking about doing this for the heck of it anyways bc i want to see/hear what it sounds like with the O/R H and mid muffers..

- get some deep, throaty long tubes.. (how would this help the trumpeting?.. i have no idea..) but i was thinking MAC lt's might mix with the mid mufflers, and then again, maybe not..

i dunno.. i really need some advice tho.. what would you guys do?

-thank you in advance for any/all help
Old 09-09-2008, 10:27 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

so i just found out through some googling.. my "mid mufflers" are infact RESONATORS!?!?.. wtf..

glass packs have louver, like, cutouts in the straight through part.. resonators just have straight through with holes/dimples.. that is some bull crap..

so now im thinking maybe just throw some glass packs in along with the m-80 RESONATORS that pypes sold me as mufflers.. sweet
Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 PM
pat123
3rd Gear Member

I have that same set up and mine does not do that at all.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

once warm the trumpeting tones down normally. When you first start driving it is much more pronounced.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

did you do the install?.. origionally i did it on my garage floor, and never hear that with the O/R x i had with it.. then took it to my exhaust guy to swap out for an O/R h to give it a deeper tone and weld everyhting up to loose the leaks i had from the cutouts (which are gone now) and all the band clamps.. and seems like, from what i remember, when i got everything welded up, and i was first driving around with the O/R H.. i dont remember that, seems like its been more so in the month and half to 2 months..

im going to give him a call tomarrow.. i think it might be bc they are exactly in line and right next to eachother, that it causes an echo.. if i have him displace them.. maybe it will change it up

thanks for the comment..
Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

howarmatt - i know.. but get this.. its actually NOT as trumpety with it cold as it is with it warm... i will be on the high way in 5th cruisin at 1800 - 2k rpms.. and press the gas, and the exhaust sounds like this..

... " BRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPP" .. now if i barely touch the gas, then it sounds like its supposed to sound.. smooth and like it does in every vid on youtube of mid mufflers or magnapacks
Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

it shouldnt be trumpeting at those RPMS......its should be closer to 2700
Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

thats what im thinkin!!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:15 AM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

my 86 has glasspacks, it trumpets like crazy and i kind of like it..
Old 09-10-2008, 02:34 AM
TorchRed04GT
2nd Gear Member

My car also trumpets like crazy. I'm getting really tired of it too and am in the process of installing some glasspacks in the stock muffler location to see if it helps. I'll let you know.

Quick Reply: help me please.. this is getting old..