Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange rattling coming from engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default Strange rattling coming from engine bay

It's actually been going on for about a year now... I never thought much of it but my boyfriend said it might be a belt that needs replacing. It doesn't always happen... just usually when I'm at a drive-thru going slowly and then stopping. It's a sound best described I think as a rattling type sound... it sounds quite a bit like a lawn sprinkler. It's not overly loud or anything but it's relatively loud when I have the windows down. Anyone have this before or know what it might be?

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:11 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Could just be the injectors. They seem to be quite loud on this vehicle. The valve lashers are noisy to on some cars. It is probably normal engine noise but dont know for sure
Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Could also be the cam phasers. On 05/06 GT's the cam phasers would get hung up or slip. There is a TSB out on it. Cam phasers control the valve timing by advancing or retarding the the cam spin based on RPM, load, and other criteria.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:20 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

probably injectors

mine sounds like a diesel
Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Twiztga
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
Could just be the injectors. They seem to be quite loud on this vehicle. The valve lashers are noisy to on some cars. It is probably normal engine noise but dont know for sure
+1 the injectors are loud especially noticeable next to a wall reflecting the sound off of it (ie: Drive Thru) when I opened the hood and heard them I had to look twice. The belt drive did make a little noise as well on mine, noticed it gone once I swapped in the Steeda UDPs.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Injectors sounds logical... I suppose it could actually always be happening and I only really hear it when it's reflecting off of a wall when there's one close by as Twitzga states. However, my car IS a V6, so I'm assuming this could go either way... V6 or GT.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Ah, my bad, missed the V6 in the sig :-/

Injectors then..definitely the injectors :-D
Old 09-19-2008, 10:21 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Alright well I took the car into the dealership yesterday (my last day under warranty) to get this checked out. Turns out it was the K&N air filter making all that racket. The guy there said that the K&N sucks in so much air that it you can hear it pretty loudly, and hanging next to a wall such as at a drive-thru makes it much more noticeable.

Case solved.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VictoriaRR
Alright well I took the car into the dealership yesterday (my last day under warranty) to get this checked out. Turns out it was the K&N air filter making all that racket. The guy there said that the K&N sucks in so much air that it you can hear it pretty loudly, and hanging next to a wall such as at a drive-thru makes it much more noticeable.

Case solved.
are you sure?

you don't normally associate a rattling sound with a sucking action

kinda like how you dont hear a rattling with a vacuum cleaner

maybe the dealer just wanted to get rid of you? my $0.02
Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

is it a full k&n cai, or just the drop-in filter? i don't really see how just a filter could make a noise like you're describing either. i'm not trying to sound redundant, but my bet would also be the injectors.

Quick Reply: Strange rattling coming from engine bay