Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant break traction

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 08:08 PM
70 Mach

Default cant break traction

Read alot about other 05 GT's with auto trans being able to nail the throttle and spin the tires with traction control OFF. I CANNOT make my car do more than chip off the line with or without traction control on. I have tried hard in drive and also tried starting off in 1st gear. Only thing that happened in 1st was when i got into the 5700 range, it lost power. It seems to pull hard and run well otherwise but what the heck is wrong?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:19 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: cant break traction

From standing still and dropping the loud pedal, sometimes mine spins the tires, sometimes not. I think it depends on the road surface, weight in the car, temperature, tire pressure, etc. Even a full tank of gas (or as much as you can get in, anyway), will add 120lbs over the rear tires. Also, the autos only have a 3.31 rear gear (vs 3.55 for the manuals), so it will be tougher anyway. But, if you "power brake" it a little, they will break loose a lot easier.

It is going to get even harder for me now -- my new wheels/tires are being installed as I type. Until I get the 4.10s back there, I don't think I'll be smoking the 275/50s that are going on there too much.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:27 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Certainly it would depend on a lot of things. One that I test drove which had an auto had NO trouble breaking the tires loose with the traction control on. I just held the car with the brakes and ran the engine up to maximum stall (2550 rpm) and it did spin. Not a huge amount of wheel spin, but it did spin. Being a big block owner for many years I was very impressed with the torque that came from that little 281 though.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:12 PM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

My 5spd GT sticks pretty well actually. Of course it's easier on a manual to rev up and pop the clutch to burn out than it is to just floor it in an automatic. Burn outs are pretty cool, but keeping that rubber planted when the light turns green with a ricer next to you comes in handy too.

You can always get some more narrow tires, that'll helo you out.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:57 AM
70 Mach

OK, i feel better now. Thought I had a car that wasnt as powerful as the others. I have not tried the power braking trick (yet). Don, the 4:10 should be awesome for this car. I hope it is everything you want. I have read a little about supercharging and am very interested in using the Saleen twin screw drive SC. I just dont know where to look to have it installed and tuned in Bakersfield, CA. Guess i had better start checking around. I think i will have the Saleen SC installed and leave the rear gears alone until i have a chance to test it out. I love the chrome bullets in the 17x9 on the Sonic Blue and other dark colors. Heck, come to think of it, they look good on any 05 mustang! I only have 600 miles on mine but i am looking for every opportunity to drive it. I am 51 years young and this car reminds me of the 69 mach I had when i was 21. God, i am so glad that this whole kick *** car thing has come back around for the mustang. This time, i really appreciate it. A big thank you to all of you who contribute TSB's, insight, humor and help on this forum.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:17 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 70 Mach

Don, the 4:10 should be awesome for this car. I hope it is everything you want.
Yea... me too! lol

I have read a little about supercharging and am very interested in using the Saleen twin screw drive SC.
I'm leaning that way too, but I haven't been able to confirm if they are available yet and are CA legal (they need a CARB EO number). I sent an e-mail to Saleen and they never responded. Guess I should try again.

I am 51 years young and this car reminds me of the 69 mach I had when i was 21. God, i am so glad that this whole kick *** car thing has come back around for the mustang. This time, i really appreciate it. A big thank you to all of you who contribute TSB's, insight, humor and help on this forum.
Amen!!
Old 05-20-2005, 03:24 AM
StangGt05Owner

I just got my 05 Mustang GT and I havent had much problem spininn the wheels with traction control on not much but when off I can light them up pretty good I have a Roush model GT.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17105/6A7B3AF0D0CB478CB3D61D2148557540.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17105/CAE64C98C4874DE6B58D555E7311F28F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17105/DCB64137FC89447D92CEEF0C5C10C0ED.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-20-2005, 09:20 AM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

Read alot about other 05 GT's with auto trans being able to nail the throttle and spin the tires with traction control OFF. I CANNOT make my car do more than chip off the line with or without traction control on. I have tried hard in drive and also tried starting off in 1st gear. Only thing that happened in 1st was when i got into the 5700 range, it lost power. It seems to pull hard and run well otherwise but what the heck is wrong?
You see all of my mods in my sig, i can't spin the tires even with all this stuff. I was able to get it to spin at the track in manual 1st and with all the mods, mine liked a 6300 to 6500 shift. The real problem I wish someone would address with the auto is making it shift when you move the gear selector. The problem I had was consistency. You have to shift 500 RPM early or you will shoot right past your goal shift point. I think the biggest problem with the tires not turning over is the drive by wire throttle. It wont give you 100% of the throttle as soon as you drop the hammer. Mine would go what seemed to be 20 feet before I got the whole throttle. I managed a 1.97 best 60 foot time and that was shifting it manually. But that said my second best time was in drive with a 1.98 60 Ft time. Go figure. My best ET in drive was my first pass in the heat with a 13.51 @ 101.8 and the best pass period was the 13.41 @ 103.39 the last pass of the night shifting it manually. I wish someone would come out with a better valve body like they did for the 2000 lightning I used to own and give us more throttle off the line. It takes too long for the gas pedal to email the computer to get it's opinion on how much throttle it thinks the pedal needs.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:33 AM
mrbmp
I ♥ Acer

this car reminds me of the 69 mach I had when i was 21
70 Mach,
Me too, it reminds me of a 69 my brother had with a 351c w/ 4 barrel heads,
It had a 4 speed manual and a 2:80 rear. It woul lite em up when you hit second and would bark a third at 80 mph.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:51 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: don_w
I'm leaning that way too, but I haven't been able to confirm if they are available yet and are CA legal (they need a CARB EO number). I sent an e-mail to Saleen and they never responded. Guess I should try again.
The Saleen SC is CA smog legal and comes with a CARB sticker, Don_Dubya. Has to be, or they wouldn't be able to sell the S281 SC in CA (where they're based). Last step in the blower installation instructions is to put the CARB sticker on. They are available, also.

Quick Reply: cant break traction