Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help from California 05 Mustang owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 06:21 AM
BadAndy

Default Need help from California 05 Mustang owners

I'm currently living in KY but I'll be moving to San Diego in September. I'll have to register my 05 GT auto. in CA so I'm curious as to how much I can do to it and still pass the emissions tests (it could run off coal in KY and no-one would say anything). I want to go with headers, high flow cat's, mufflers, CAI kit, and underdrive pulleys. I'm assuming that the only effect to emissions will be the cat's or maybe the headers. Or should I forego the cat's and just keep them stock?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:15 AM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need help from California 05 Mustang owners

If you want to be completely sure, you should keep it stock until you get here and jump through the proverbial hoops. After you have finished with the bureaucracies, then do what you want to do. Remember to keep all receipts showing that all the components are smog certified. Yeah....California is kind of nutty when it comes to the environment.

Steve
Old 05-18-2005, 12:59 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Many aftermarket parts are smog-legal in CA, including exhaust systems, superchargers, etc.). Just verify with the manufacturer that they have a CARB EO number (California Air Resources Board Executive Order).
Old 05-18-2005, 01:42 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

No long-tube header is legal in CA. Headers in general are tough in CA, but JBA has some that work, but the shorty headers are expensive and don't give you that much extra hp (~8hp), so the expense probably is not worth it. Changing the cats is difficult as well. The catted x-pipe in CA is not legal, which was a shock to me since it had the cats, but you can go with the x-pipe and hook it up to your stock cat. The stock ones are pretty good, so changing it really won't do much for the numbers either.

Bottom line is what Don_w said, which is if it has a CARB approval or not.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:05 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

I know smog laws are strict in CA, but I've always owned classics and didn't have to deal with the smog check. However, I know they use the sniffer thing in the exhaust pipe, but do they really get under the car to look at the x pipe or cats? I know they would see headers when they open the hood for the visual, but I don't recall seeing the techs actually look under the car (during smog checks for friends and family). So... as long as it doesn't pollute more than it should, would they even notice the cats or x-pipe?

Maybe if you can find a smog technician that isn't too bright, you can pass it off as a 60's Mustang and not have to deal with the smog check!

Rick
Old 05-18-2005, 10:13 PM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

If only the general was right. Typically the smog centers do everything but crawl up one's butt to make sure everything is as it should be.

Steve
Old 05-18-2005, 11:01 PM
auto falasho

I strongly recommend you keep it stock until your initial registration in CA.

more info here:

www.smogcheck.ca.gov

Old 05-18-2005, 11:06 PM
auto falasho

check this too:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/newvehicle.htm
Old 05-18-2005, 11:36 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

What those guys said. Keep it stock, jump through the hoops, then mod like a ****!
Old 05-22-2005, 04:57 PM
BadAndy

I agree with y'all that the smart thing to do is to leave it stock and mod. after I'm down there but 3 months is a long time to wait....

One other question- the JLT CAI replaces the stock box & the inlet hose so I assume that the carbon trap is removed at the same time. Anyone know if the removal of the carbon trap will cause me to fail the e-test or can I install the trap in the JLT CAI?

Quick Reply: Need help from California 05 Mustang owners