Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pypes M-80 muffler placement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:49 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I don't necessarily want a 2v or 4v sound. What I want is for a true exhaust note without having to go WOT. The exhaust design of the S197 kills the exhaust pulses and makes more of a continuous airy sound instead of discrete thumps. The discrete thumps is what I crave.....especially at low rpms.

Listen to this video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKIUI_Ir_8
Especially notice the sound made from 14sec to 16sec when the throttle is held at about 1,500 rpm (I'm guessing). Our cars can't make that pulsing sound. Ours sounds more like a vacuum cleaner sucking up marbles.

In the flowmaster mid-muffler vid I posted before, you can hear the distinct exhaust pulses much better than a rear muffler setup. I don't know if the reason is that the muffler is at the end of the exhaust line, or that the distance from the engine to the mufflers is too long, or both.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thewarmachine
In the flowmaster mid-muffler vid I posted before, you can hear the distinct exhaust pulses much better than a rear muffler setup. I don't know if the reason is that the muffler is at the end of the exhaust line, or that the distance from the engine to the mufflers is too long, or both.

this is actually an extremely good point.. and mike.. you might actually have a big difference in the sound/tone if you do that displacement liek you want to.. (before/after the X)..

im actually REALLY intrested to see what happens with this.. you gotta post vids ASAP... bc im going to the shop saturday to get mine messed with..

btw, Tomb, do you still have your Mac's?.. or any axle backs layin around?

and that setup with the flowmasters setup mid muffler style actually sounded really good.. needs to be a little louder.. but not bad at all for flowmasters.. best ones ive heard on the s197 by far.. which brings me back to what warmachine said about the placement and the mufflers being at the very end affect how the exhaust really has nowhere to bounce around after the muffler.. but if they were in the middle or even farther forward, they would have a long length of tubing to bounce around and get that hollowish, throaty sound that everyone wants.. i wonder if a larger or smaller diameter muffler-back tubing would help any.. i could see 3" from the flowmaster to the tips giving it that hollow sound...

ANY ONE UP TO TRY IT!!?!?? lololol..

i wish our cars didnt have to sound different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

arghh what to do what to do , I think I might suck it up and have them put in front of the x to see what happens,lol I guess I can be gunie pig for this one. only thing I keep thinking is maybe that pypes tried this and thats what they put the mm where they did in the kit......**** man this sucks
Old 09-17-2008, 11:18 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

I just was under the car and placing them beforre the x and it looks like they will fit just perfect , basically in the place where high flow cats would fit on LT, my only concern now is bottoming them out cause I know guys with sportlines and high flow cats thats where they are scraping.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:00 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

ya.. i dunno what to tell ya on the scrapping issue.. i remember scraping my high flow cats when i had my SLP mod. X pipe when i went over a few speed bumps, and that was goign slow, and not lowered at all!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:59 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

****, looks like im going to have to put them out back staggered then, since I have the sportlines.....
Old 09-18-2008, 02:04 AM
TorchRed04GT
2nd Gear Member

I recently just welded some 12" glasspacks/resonators in front of the MM's. It really changed the sound a lot and got rid of the dreaded trumpeting and rasping the s197's have. It is closest I have got to the 2v sound.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TorchRed04GT
I recently just welded some 12" glasspacks/resonators in front of the MM's. It really changed the sound a lot and got rid of the dreaded trumpeting and rasping the s197's have. It is closest I have got to the 2v sound.
do you have a video clip?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:57 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

ya.. vid!?!?!?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:47 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Hey now that I put on the O/R H, I'd like to reopen this topic. I thought the H would be an improvement over my bassani X, which it is but still have real bad trumpeting. So the resonators def. get rid of trumpeting right?

Also TorchRed04GT, where are your resonators? Are they before the H crossover or are they on your over-axle pipes?

Quick Reply: pypes M-80 muffler placement?