Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a new hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:51 AM
derekdatank
2nd Gear Member

Default Looking for a new hood

Well one of my good friends backed into my mustang yesterday i took it to the body shop today to get a quote on it and it came out to be 757 dollars for them to get the original to look the way it did but my question is should i just get an after market hood for it? and if i should whats a good website to look at to find one and if i buy one prepainted and will there be any fading that will have to be done to get it to look right
Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 AM
derekdatank
2nd Gear Member

o and here is some pics if anyone is interested

also i have to get a new headlight witch came out to be 152 dollars if anyone can help me get one of those it would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

PM sent on the headlights
Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

all in all, it kinda depends on the look you are going for. if you are going for a full 'stock replacement', check www.newtakeoff.com/ they have oem parts at a fraction of the price. if you are going aftermarket, www.americanmuscle.com and www.ninosport.com have a good selection of parts. and for hoods, you should apparantly stay away from trufiber hoods, they supposedly do not hold the paint well.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:09 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Ouch...sorry to see that. It doesn't look like major work though. If you were considering a different hood, then I would go for it. I actually have the factory head lights that came out of my car that I could sell to you if interested, but I am trying to sell them as a pair, so this may not work for you.

Last edited by degeze; 09-17-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:09 AM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

what about the fender? a hood is going to set you back about 1000.00 by the time you pay for the hood and get it painted. I would look around at some of the web sites to see which ones you like...https://cervinis.com/Default.aspx has good products and you need very little prep before you paint it.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeno
all in all, it kinda depends on the look you are going for. if you are going for a full 'stock replacement', check www.newtakeoff.com/ they have oem parts at a fraction of the price. if you are going aftermarket, www.americanmuscle.com and www.ninosport.com have a good selection of parts. and for hoods, you should apparantly stay away from trufiber hoods, they supposedly do not hold the paint well.

Trufiber has a great reputation. As far as I know, there has only been one hood reported on the forum that didn't fit properly. Never heard any complaints on the paint.

Derek,
You can also search the for sale section and find hoods for sale. I happen to have a torch red hood for sale, but someone else is already interested in it and he doesn't live far away. But take a look in the classified section before you spend that kind of money.....unless you are looking to get a cooler hood...which I would do if I were you.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

i wasn't sure how reputable trufiber was. i was looking at a hood from them and almost every report on that particular hood (not on this forum, though), there was a problem with the paint bubbling. if they are good, then i retract my statement (just relaying what i had heard)... maybe i was reading the same guy's review every time and didn't realize it :P
Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by derekdatank
Well one of my good friends backed into my mustang yesterday i took it to the body shop today to get a quote on it and it came out to be 757 dollars for them to get the original to look the way it did but my question is should i just get an after market hood for it? and if i should whats a good website to look at to find one and if i buy one prepainted and will there be any fading that will have to be done to get it to look right
Where are you? Today, I just put my car 2-week old Mustang in the shop to have a ram air hood put on. My old hood in flawless condition is for sale.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
derekdatank
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
Where are you? Today, I just put my car 2-week old Mustang in the shop to have a ram air hood put on. My old hood in flawless condition is for sale.
i live in Tennessee

Quick Reply: Looking for a new hood