Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.10s on a 2005 mustang gt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:43 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Default 4.10s on a 2005 mustang gt?

So a friend of mine is giving me his 4.10s for my 3.55s because he is going to a supercharger. Should I put 4.10s on my car or will it be too much? I used to drive it everyday to work but recently got a commuter so it only gets driven to work by my wife which is 3 miles each way. Anyway, I was wondering, is first gear with 4.10s really short with a stock mustang gt and will it be any harder to drive for my wife or anything with them on. I just dont want it to be too much of a chore to drive it now that I put gears on it. Also i was wondering what is the gas mileage on the freeway around town and what kind of RPMs does it turn at like 70mph in 5th?

ps: I tried to search but it comes back with nothing every time.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

well i cant tell you much about the gears because i havent installed mine yet. but i have a set of 4.10s sitn in the garage that hopefully i will get in soon. lots of people on here love their 4.10s im sure they will all chime in.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I have 4.10 gears in my 5-speed and am very happy.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:52 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

4.10s here and very happy. Just do it, you wont be dissapointed. Make sure you use your tuner to correct the speedometer.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:08 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

I am happy with mine, but first gear is very short.. if you are not on moderate throttle it is easy to start bucking. A little throttle and you can start in 2nd easily though. Wife might complain a little if she is not an aggressive driver.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:18 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

You might want to consider just swapping the whole axles between the cars. Would be quicker and easier than two gear installs.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
So a friend of mine is giving me his 4.10s for my 3.55s because he is going to a supercharger. Should I put 4.10s on my car or will it be too much? I used to drive it everyday to work but recently got a commuter so it only gets driven to work by my wife which is 3 miles each way. Anyway, I was wondering, is first gear with 4.10s really short with a stock mustang gt and will it be any harder to drive for my wife or anything with them on. I just dont want it to be too much of a chore to drive it now that I put gears on it. Also i was wondering what is the gas mileage on the freeway around town and what kind of RPMs does it turn at like 70mph in 5th?

ps: I tried to search but it comes back with nothing every time.
Will 4.10s be too much - probably not but its a matter of personal opinion. 1st is really short. My wife drives my car once in a while and doesn't mind it. She says its twitchy but is ok with it.

Gas Mileage - it may drop slightly but there are too many variables to say for sure. Reports I've see are all over the map from better mileage to far worse. I'll say one thing for sure, the MPG is extremly sensitive to your right foot.

RPM - you can use the online calculator to figure it out: http://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php The 5th gear ratio is either .62 or .68 (depending on who you talk to).

Originally Posted by doctorstrobe
You might want to consider just swapping the whole axles between the cars. Would be quicker and easier than two gear installs
Thats an awesome idea, you could do that yourselves and save a boatload of money.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:14 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Cant switch because the axles because the gears are coming from a new edge mustang. The friend I am having do it has done it a bunch of times before so he can do it in about an hour so it shouldnt be a big deal.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:33 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

Since you said the search isn't working, I'll cut you some slack since people ask this question every 2 weeks

I have had mine on my car for the last past 7k miles or so. I don't think it's too much at all really. It makes a world of a difference in acceleration and how the car feels since you are put into your optimal torque range rather quickly. I shift at roughly 3k rpm during normal city driving and my MPG is the same as it was with my 3.55's.

In 5th at 80mph I'm just under 3k rpm. Just remember to change your tune for them.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:44 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

under 3k rpms at 80mph isnt bad at all.

Quick Reply: 4.10s on a 2005 mustang gt?