Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner that works ok with Granatelli CAI on a 08' GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I think you'll be limiting yourself. The tuner is simply a device for loading tunes into your car. Most tuners support 1, maybe 2 of the handhelds. I'd be more concerned about choosing who's writing your custom tunes and what tuner they support then choosing a tuner that may only get you canned tunes.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I think you'll be limiting yourself. The tuner is simply a device for loading tunes into your car. Most tuners support 1, maybe 2 of the handhelds. I'd be more concerned about choosing who's writing your custom tunes and what tuner they support then choosing a tuner that may only get you canned tunes.
I am thinking about buying the Diablosport tuner. I may call their tech support line today and ask if it can be tuned for the Granatelli CAI. I called their sales line and they said they did not have a tune for it right out of the box.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I don't believe the tunes you'd get through Diablo are custom as opposed to canned. I suggest you call Bamachips or Brenspeed to be sure they can write tunes for the Granatelli CAI (I think all they need is the inlet size). Their tunes would be written based on your mods and would be more aggresive IMO. I think Bama supports both the Diablo and Xcal while Brenspeed supports just the Xcal.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I don't believe the tunes you'd get through Diablo are custom as opposed to canned. I suggest you call Bamachips or Brenspeed to be sure they can write tunes for the Granatelli CAI (I think all they need is the inlet size). Their tunes would be written based on your mods and would be more aggresive IMO. I think Bama supports both the Diablo and Xcal while Brenspeed supports just the Xcal.
Thanks. Do you have your tuner set for the highest octane fuel? If you keep your foot light on the accelerator do you get better mpg than stock? I am actually looking for the best mpg. I know, I know, if I want better mpg buy a Prius. NOT. I want a V8 Mustang that gives me the best ride and mpg. Power is just a plus to me. Always remember, there is someone on the road who can always outrun you.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:35 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
Thanks. Do you have your tuner set for the highest octane fuel? If you keep your foot light on the accelerator do you get better mpg than stock? I am actually looking for the best mpg. I know, I know, if I want better mpg buy a Prius. NOT. I want a V8 Mustang that gives me the best ride and mpg. Power is just a plus to me. Always remember, there is someone on the road who can always outrun you.
Then my advice to you is to save your money and keep it stock!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have 87, 89 and 93 octane tunes from Brenspeed. I typically run the 89 tune as I like it better for overall street driving. For really aggressive driving where I'm winding it out near/to redline, I run the 93 tune. I only use the 87 tune if I run into situations where I can't get anything BUT 87 (it HAS happened).

As far as fuel mileage, I don't see much, if any, difference. It's difficult to say because I tend to drive more aggressively the higher the octane is so, even if there WAS an improvement, I've skewed it...
Old 09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I'd go with Doug from BAMA for any tuning needs and questions.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I have 87, 89 and 93 octane tunes from Brenspeed. I typically run the 89 tune as I like it better for overall street driving. For really aggressive driving where I'm winding it out near/to redline, I run the 93 tune. I only use the 87 tune if I run into situations where I can't get anything BUT 87 (it HAS happened).

As far as fuel mileage, I don't see much, if any, difference. It's difficult to say because I tend to drive more aggressively the higher the octane is so, even if there WAS an improvement, I've skewed it...
I actually think there should only be one choice for fuel. Either 91 or 93 and leave the others behind. Cars would run better and nobody would have to choose. I just drove a 130 mile ride one way/260 both ways and averaged 31.2 mpg riding around 58 mph. That's terrific fuel economy for a GT Mustang. So, I have a great ride and plenty of power to go with it. That's what I want. Speaking of octane, I think I'm going to start a new thread on why the Bullit Mustang requires 93 octane. Same engine as our regular GTs except a Ford cold air intake right?