Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 05 GT, what should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:04 PM
kxl77
1st Gear Member

Default Buying a 05 GT, what should I look for?

Looking to buy an 05 Mustang GT in the next week or so, what should I look for when I inspect it? Basically out of your experience what are problem prone areas?

The candidates:

2005 Mustang GT 2010 Miles, black/black leather, shaker 1000, extended warranty to 75k and 2011. Private owner.

Asking 18k

2005 Mustang GT (Roush Package)- Black with white stripes, I'm assuming leather, and everything else. Not sure abotu Shaker or warranty. It's being sold by an inifiniti dealer.

Asking 19750
Old 09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I have the same question. I have one that is being detailed and should be able to pick it up on Monday. I am wondering the same things, what to look for and what not. Mine will have 30k miles, but I am getting a great deal with my 06 v6 trade and their stang.

Sorry to jump in!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:58 PM
9million
2nd Gear Member

Take a look at the TSB's. I would be concerned with the drivetrain. Make sure all fluids are copastetic & no rearend whine.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Will do, thanks
Old 09-19-2008, 08:24 PM
thuxel
2nd Gear Member

make sure it has an engine and tires
Old 09-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I noticed the tires, better pop the hood....huh. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:53 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

this may be extreme, but i would definately consider it...

park it facing up hill, flood the whole right fender, windsheild, roof and hood with water for a good 15 mins

last thing you want is a 05 with a water leak that is out of warranty

go to your local for dealership and ask for an oasis report...find out what has / hasn't been done in terms of TSB's and other repairs
Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

+1 with what the others have said.

I would also look for excessive wear that an 05 shouldn't have on the interior, body, etc..
Old 09-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I'll take some time and be the first to give you some tips you could actually use!
First, the black 2005 sounds better. Always go for the car with the fewest miles and most like stock. You do NOT want a car that's been modded.

With the 2005 you must take a test drive. Before going to the place where the car is, drive around the neighborhood and look for the road that has the most potholes! Train tracks are also great. You will want to drive the 2005 on the worst road you can. Make sure the radio is off, the owner isn't blabbing away and do it with the windows both up and down. This will let you know what kind of rattles the car has. Then drive slowly while turning the wheel all the way to listen for popping noises in the front suspension.

Also, while on the test drive, let off the gas and see if the rear axle makes that whining sound. It can happen at different speeds and may whine while either on OR off the gas. You're basically looking for a change in sound which can indicate gear problems.

See if the owner will fill the gas tank up for you. Try to fill it yourself, hopefully from a low gas tank. This will tell you if it has the dreaded gas tank vent problem. If it won't fill up by itself ask for a discount!

bring a few CDs of your own! Most factory CDs will work in the Shaker 500 but if you make your own cds or mp3 CDs see if they will work in the car's stereo.

Check the spare tire. Get under the carpet and see if it has been used or, if not, if it is clean and full of air.

Check the carpeting on the front passenger side. But use your nose! You're trying to see if it has a moldy smell, which could mean it has the dreaded water leak.

See if the seatback releases are broken.

Check the headlights and foglights for moisture or fogging up of the lenses.

Under the hood, there's not a lot I think you can tell by just looking. Make sure the brake fluid reservoir isn't leaking down and dripping fluid onto the body. Check the alignment of the hood. I run my finger down the hood line on the right and then the left, making sure they are the same.
Most people will have their engines cleaned before selling their cars, but look for tell-tale drips or leaks in the valve covers.

Remember, so many people modify their Mustangs that you need to be able to tell what isn't there and if that is how you want it. It could be something little, like the windshield washer nozzles, or something huge, like 4.10 gears instead of the ones that came from the factory.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

I thought the flood idea was a good idea.....but thanks for the real tip!

Quick Reply: Buying a 05 GT, what should I look for?