Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

0% financing any time soon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:58 AM
SkyMaster19
2nd Gear Member

Remember on your trade in that you walk in with figures from KBB. They work off the "black book" or wholesale price (auction price). If they can't find it they do dealer calls and find an average.

NEVER walk on the property and tell them you want to trade in your car until AFTER both of you have negotiated and signed a purchase order on the new one.

Like written earlier, dealer FO's have a spread to work with on percentages for financing.

At the end of each month big dealerships have a "washout" meeting with the sales staff/management and go over transactions. Don't be a victum they chuckle over.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:13 PM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

This is how I worked my last 3 purchases:

1) Find the vehicle I'm interested in and request an internet quote (I NEVER go to a dealership and talk to a regular sales guy). Typically, the internet quote is at or near invoice.

2) Get a line item quote for every charge the dealer is going to tack on (i.e. tags, "processing" fees, tax, etc.)

1 + 2 = negotiated price of the new car

3) I bring with me a print out that shows the average of KBB, Edmunds, and NADA used car values for my vehicle. I'm not the type to be really pushy so I usually can get slightly above KBB value.

I FEEL like I've always gotten a good deal going this route.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:52 PM
JoeTheSlacker

Originally Posted by OneLargeToe
That's what I figured and that makes it tough -- if I have a trade-in I have no idea how much they are going to allow for it. So there is no way to get a loan for the exact amount.
You go through the "buying" process first. Work you numbers on your deal and when you get the numbers you like you go get your check from the bank., etc.

Originally Posted by SkyMaster19
Remember on your trade in that you walk in with figures from KBB. They work off the "black book" or wholesale price (auction price). If they can't find it they do dealer calls and find an average.

NEVER walk on the property and tell them you want to trade in your car until AFTER both of you have negotiated and signed a purchase order on the new one.

Like written earlier, dealer FO's have a spread to work with on percentages for financing.

At the end of each month big dealerships have a "washout" meeting with the sales staff/management and go over transactions. Don't be a victum they chuckle over.

Here's the problem with the old "wait to tell them about your trade" thing that people like to say... you have negotiated all of the "over allowance" out of the figures of the car you are buying. You will probably get mad at the numbers they show you. Just keep this in mind when you use this tactic.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if YOU start the process by being dishonest with dealer... well, how do you think he is going to treat you? Just some food for thought. And BTW, signing a purchase order for an agreed price doesn't mean anything when you change the deal by adding a trade.

And not every deal give the finance manager a "spread" to work with on interest rates. It's not uncommon around here to simply give the customer the "buy rate".

Originally Posted by OneLargeToe
This is how I worked my last 3 purchases:

1) Find the vehicle I'm interested in and request an internet quote (I NEVER go to a dealership and talk to a regular sales guy). Typically, the internet quote is at or near invoice.

2) Get a line item quote for every charge the dealer is going to tack on (i.e. tags, "processing" fees, tax, etc.)

1 + 2 = negotiated price of the new car

3) I bring with me a print out that shows the average of KBB, Edmunds, and NADA used car values for my vehicle. I'm not the type to be really pushy so I usually can get slightly above KBB value.

I FEEL like I've always gotten a good deal going this route.
That is actually a really good way to get everything handled. Although by law they have to show you each charge... well, in NC I know we have to show them... could be different other places.