Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided on Purchasing a GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 AM
altegxe01

Originally Posted by alloutt
I'm in your postion and happy with my stang
you have room to park all of these cars?
alloutt-The stang is now sitting in my uncle's garage; he's tinkering. My altima is my ride to school sitting in the driveay with my mom's mini-van. It's a 2 car garage, so sure I guess. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is your position now?

snooj-I have heard about this and hey, in this economy, any bit of cash helps now and then..mostly "now", not much of "then".

The Gist of Things
-Get through first year and part of second year of ocean engineering.
-$12k+ saved up, Altima, maybe a small loan to put on a GT.
-Waiter at country club $12/hr (24 hrs/week) not including the tips!
-Living @ home until next year when I live with cousin (250/month rent).
-Paying 1/4 of 10K tuition b/c of Scholarship!
-...INSURANCE! GASOLINE!

So if I was to go ahead with this the end of my sophomore year, I'd really have to pace myself with mods...as if to say every 6-12 months I treat myself with a custom part. I'm taking this to the track...

Gears-3.73
BMR Lowering Kit
GT500 Front Fascia
TruFiber Venom Hood
JLT Cold Air Intake/???Tuner Kit
Bassani Exhaust
Bassani X-Pipe
Short-throw shifter
Zex purge Kit/Wet kit

Before I turn 30 years old hopefully...
Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

What I see is that this
-Waiter at country club $12/hr (24 hrs/week)
is damn near a wash against this
when I live with cousin (250/month rent).
which tells me that the tips will have to be consistently good enough to cover everything else - that 25% of tuition, food and other living expenses, any other luxury/entertainment expenses. I find that already somewhat risky, as variable amounts of income (tips for you, overtime money for other folks) should not be fully counted on in order to meet required expenses as it is not "guaranteed money" even if it's been fairly reliable so far.

Even if you could swing the purchase and the insurance (which you are rightfully uneasy about) I don't see any way in hell that any mod money can be squeezed out of the financial situation that you've presented us with.

Let's just say I have a little experience with college students and the financial pits they managed to dig themselves into - and leave it at that.

Norm
Old 10-01-2008, 11:11 PM
altegxe01

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
What I see is that this
is damn near a wash against this

which tells me that the tips will have to be consistently good enough to cover everything else - that 25% of tuition, food and other living expenses, any other luxury/entertainment expenses. I find that already somewhat risky, as variable amounts of income (tips for you, overtime money for other folks) should not be fully counted on in order to meet required expenses as it is not "guaranteed money" even if it's been fairly reliable so far.
Well actually my godparents are paying for the other 25%, although I agree with the other risks.

Even if you could swing the purchase and the insurance (which you are rightfully uneasy about) I don't see any way in hell that any mod money can be squeezed out of the financial situation that you've presented us with.

Let's just say I have a little experience with college students and the financial pits they managed to dig themselves into - and leave it at that.
Agreed, I have aunts/uncles still paying off loans for Georgetown and Colombia. That's a situation...I don't want to end up in at age 36.

Norm
Well anyways I decided it was a good idea to wait b/c besides saving some green, it will also give me enough planning time just in case something else better comes out for the GT...new modifications.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 PM
altegxe01

Thanks much for the advice so far everyone!

I decided to wait it out b/c as I'll have less debt to dig myself into, there will also be better aftermarket modifications available.