Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided on Purchasing a GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 PM
altegxe01

Originally Posted by xtremesaleen
im at between $40-45 a fill on an 87 tune about 17mpg mixed daily driving.

I wont quote u my insurance lol but im 23 & female with no accidents. I am married, husbands over 25, multi-car discount and no accidents for him as well. And my insurance is still "high". If i didnt love my car so much I might think i was an idiot for getting it between the payment and insurance.

If you have that much coming up, put the stang on the back burner. And do it up right when the cash flow is there for you.
Thanks for the info, but that does not really make me feel good.

1. Like most college students, I'm officially on a budget.
2.I have had 2 tickets of which were voided because the officer didn't sign one (LUCKY BREAK) and my lawyer got me out of another=NO POINTS OR PAYMENTS! No accidents, so I'm good there.
3. I figured take out a small loan to add to the 12,000 I have saved up and the money I'll get for the altima.

Yet I'm sure the insurance will be high anyway. Out of curiosity, do you believe that insurance rates are lower for women? I have heard that from many of my friends that are female drivers.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Supernaut
2nd Gear Member

I use 87 and it costs me about $45-50 to fill it. Goes about 250 miles. I get 17 mpg city and 24 highway @ 80 mph.

I would wait on the purchase until your situation levels off. Don't try to manage too many personal changes at once or you might fumble them all. First: shelter. Second: school. Third: style. Once you find a place and start school, let the patterns reveal themselves for a while. Many patters will be unexpected. Your building, neighborhood, and/or roommates may reveal themselves to be disruptive. School may be a challenge and take time away from work. Etc. Once the rythems become routine and you find yourself with excess capacity, add a Mustang to the mix. But keep your eye on the ball and economize your energies to ensure success.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:06 PM
altegxe01

Originally Posted by Supernaut
I use 87 and it costs me about $45-50 to fill it. Goes about 250 miles. I get 17 mpg city and 24 highway @ 80 mph.

I would wait on the purchase until your situation levels off. Don't try to manage too many personal changes at once or you might fumble them all. First: shelter. Second: school. Third: style. Once you find a place and start school, let the patterns reveal themselves for a while. Many patters will be unexpected. Your building, neighborhood, and/or roommates may reveal themselves to be disruptive. School may be a challenge and take time away from work. Etc. Once the rythems become routine and you find yourself with excess capacity, add a Mustang to the mix. But keep your eye on the ball and economize your energies to ensure success.
Wow, I really didn't look at it that way. I was aware about fumbling all responsibilites at once which is why I decided to wait it out, but maybe a few years would be a better solution. I guess I figured I could handle it all, because generally I am very resposible for my age, especially with money. Perhaps getting through it all first is the best option. And I have the 69 fastback and the altima. I guess I could do that...

Thanks for the advice...
Old 09-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Supernaut
2nd Gear Member

If you are in FL, why not set aside $5k for a Fox and keep the rest of your cash in the bank? You dont need insulation in FL so the car will be comfortable. It's cheap to buy, fix, and upgrade. With a few mods it can punch way above it's weight, but it wont break your budget. Mustang is more than a car. It's a fraternity. Buy a new car when you can afford it without risking your school/shelter/food/insurance/etc budget. I love my 87 notch.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:12 PM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

Ive "heard" that they favor college graduates and women and i believe credit. But the discounts i get are his being over 25, multicar, no accidents, and married.

Supernaut said it well. Dont juggle, it never ends pretty.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:17 PM
altegxe01

Thing is I really don't favor that Fox design; I love the 5th gen. But I decided just to wait until I can balance things out in a few years. I have the fastback, so there's my contribution to the Mustang Era, and I have my Altima to get me where I need to go.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Supernaut
2nd Gear Member

I dont want to stick my nose where it doesnt belong, but... You said you have $12k to buy a Stang. What about your shelter/food/school budget? Dont rely on cashflow alone, because that might get disrupted. Horde your cash until you establish command over your new rythem and you know what it takes to live. Once your new operating parameters are known, then branch out. But times of transition are also times of instability. Hold on to what is solid (cheap transportation) until transitional turbulance settles down, then change something else, such as your ride or whatever. I've been there and have the scars to prove it. As an impartial observer, I suggest you be defensive, economically and socially, for the first 6 months. Establish a study-work-live pattern that allows you to be a successful student yet is sustainable for you economically and socially. Master that and life is good.

You will see some of your fellow students flounder and fail, drop out, get messed up one way or another. People have a hard time managing complex personal transitions, no matter what it is. So keep the distractions down until a routine develops and you get bored. But dont kill yourself trying to manage big car payments on top of school, rent, etc.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:16 AM
snooj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by altegxe01
Thanks for the info, but that does not really make me feel good.

1. Like most college students, I'm officially on a budget.
2.I have had 2 tickets of which were voided because the officer didn't sign one (LUCKY BREAK) and my lawyer got me out of another=NO POINTS OR PAYMENTS! No accidents, so I'm good there.
3. I figured take out a small loan to add to the 12,000 I have saved up and the money I'll get for the altima.

Yet I'm sure the insurance will be high anyway. Out of curiosity, do you believe that insurance rates are lower for women? I have heard that from many of my friends that are female drivers.
Yes, women do have lower insurance rates. I'm a woman and even I say that's sexist. I don't think that should be a factor. But it is.

You may already know this, but I figure I'd throw it out anyway. If you want to buy it now, keep in mind that a lot of dealerships, I believe Florida too, are offering 500 off if a college/university graduate is buying it, or at least cosigning for it. It's not much, but something. Also, tell your insurance company you're a student if you haven't yet. A lot of them offer discounts for students with good grades. And if you can, put the car in your parents' name to make it cheaper. All just wee tidbits. It's not a huge discount, but every little bit is still something.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 PM
altegxe01

So from all the advice I've received on this, I'm going to assume that everyone has been in my position?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:12 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

I'm in your postion and happy with my stang
you have room to park all of these cars?

Quick Reply: Decided on Purchasing a GT