Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple on stock internals

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:54 PM
SanchoPrez

Default Whipple on stock internals

How many people are running a Whipple on stock internals on an 07 GT? I've heard that 450 to the wheels is about the max one should have before starting to change internals out, but how close can you really get or go over and still be safe?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:05 PM
DannyStyle22
Banned

Using forced induction on a stock motor without forged internals is kind of like playing with fire... Some people push the limits around 450-500 and last years without an issue, others aren’t so lucky and blow the motor days later. Personally if you have the money for a blower I would save a couple thousand more and build the motor.

BTW don’t neglect the trans and rear they are pretty weak in stock form as well. My philosophy is if you’re going to do it, do it right.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:08 PM
SanchoPrez

You're right as far as doing it right. How much should I expect to pay to build the motor?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:16 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Use the search facility Bro. This subject, like many others, has been done practically to death a hundred times.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

rear end and trans are not weak! Maybe the rear diff is weak, but the axles are 31 spline and i've not heard anyone breaking an axle or even the diff on the street.

The stock clutch is weak, but it's not designed to handle 400+rwhp.

No one has ever blown an engine with the whipple and whipples tune. At least not to my knowledge. I'm not even sure if anyone has blown a stock motor with a whipple, dyno tune and the 10psi pulley.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Weak as in what? This ain't a chevy, one of the few things ford did with the s197 is put 31 spline axels and gave the option for 3.55 gears. I'm running close to 470whp on my stock clutch, let alone tranny. Now I do have a manual which is a tad better to beat on then the s197's auto tranny. Back to the OP. I'd say it's all in the tune.

Originally Posted by DannyStyle22

BTW don’t neglect the trans and rear they are pretty weak in stock form as well. My philosophy is if you’re going to do it, do it right.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:27 PM
DannyStyle22
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by moosestang
rear end and trans are not weak! Maybe the rear diff is weak, but the axles are 31 spline and i've not heard anyone breaking an axle or even the diff on the street.

The stock clutch is weak, but it's not designed to handle 400+rwhp.

No one has ever blown an engine with the whipple and whipples tune. At least not to my knowledge. I'm not even sure if anyone has blown a stock motor with a whipple, dyno tune and the 10psi pulley.

Not to put you down or anything but there are tons (sorry wrong way to word it, but there have been many) people who have blown there motors from forced induction. Notice how I didnt say whipple in particular. But I am sure there are many. When it comes to the rear... I never said he was going to snap axles, but it would we wise to weld the axle tubes if he plans on launching hard on some stickies. Theres no need to be an internet tuff guy he was vague with his question so I added a couple side notes. Sorry if it offended you.

Last edited by DannyStyle22; 09-25-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

^^^ I dont know about tons of motors. I have not heard of one blown motor. I am sure there has been some here and there. You can blow a motor at 2 psi, with a bad tune. I have seen many members boosted pushing over 400whp with no problems. And please man this trannies are by no means weak, even the new edge trannies werent weak (synchro problems) but not weak. But pushing over 10 psi, does increase the chances of failure for sure.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:44 PM
DannyStyle22
Banned

Originally Posted by blueherd02gt
Weak as in what? This ain't a chevy, one of the few things ford did with the s197 is put 31 spline axels and gave the option for 3.55 gears. I'm running close to 470whp on my stock clutch, let alone tranny. Now I do have a manual which is a tad better to beat on then the s197's auto tranny. Back to the OP. I'd say it's all in the tune.

Alright buddy lets grow up just a tad ok. Back the the OP question what do you intend on doing with the car? Is it going to remain a DD? What times are you shooting for?

Last edited by DannyStyle22; 09-25-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:46 PM
DannyStyle22
Banned

Thank you volcomchester18! Thats all I was trying to say was that whenever you go forced induction its a gamble period you might as well plan for the worst and do it right the first time.

Last edited by DannyStyle22; 09-25-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Whipple on stock internals