Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Light= Vent solenoid bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:25 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default Engine Light= Vent solenoid bad?

at least that is what dealer told me...my engine light just came on last night...(Only have 2569 miles) dealer checked and stated nothing to worry about they have to order the part. Apparently it is a vent solenoid. He said it measures fuel pressure? He said my fuel pressure is fine and my car will drive without an issue until they get the part in Monday or Tuesday. I questioned are u sure..i mean fuel pressure is not exactly something you want to mess with in a FI car...he was like no concerns...oh well. anyone else have the same issue before?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:00 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Is it the EVAP vent solenoid valve by any chance.
It controls the vapor pressure in the
Evap system not the actual fuel pressure.
What was the DTC that was thrown?
Maybe ask next time as you can self-diagnose
the problem if you know the DTCs that are being thrown.
They should have had the part inhouse as this is a common problem.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:24 AM
goose5
1st Gear Member

Its The cannister vent solenoid. It has to do with static pressure in the evaporative emmissions system. It has nothing to do with line pressure. What it does is keeps fuel vapor from leaving your tank, and if there is a vacuum present in the evap system it opens to let fresh air in. It just controls pressure in the tank. Usually they dont fail this early. If they do fail its because they get full of dust and sand and dont shut all the way.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:23 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by goose5
Its The cannister vent solenoid. It has to do with static pressure in the evaporative emmissions system. It has nothing to do with line pressure. What it does is keeps fuel vapor from leaving your tank, and if there is a vacuum present in the evap system it opens to let fresh air in. It just controls pressure in the tank. Usually they dont fail this early. If they do fail its because they get full of dust and sand and dont shut all the way.
cool...thx for the info. yeah I was concerned at timing as well...car is only 4 month old with 2569 miles...as far as sand etc ...I mean i live in florida..but car is constantly garage kept....who knows...part will be in monday etc..I am probably going to buy a xcal tuner again just for the DTC reason. at least then I can diagnose before bring to dealer as I did with my 05 gt so I knew what was up and prevent them from ever trying to BS me etc...thx again..
Old 09-27-2008, 12:33 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

My vent solenoid went bad for the evap system under code p0446 i think. I just pulled it out and checked the resistance and it was bad. Took it to the dealer for warranty though because I wasn't going to pay haha.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:08 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by goose5
It does not open when there is a vacuum present.
The fuel cap has a valve for that function.
Where did you get your information, Goose5?

Originally Posted by lrgnation
My vent solenoid went bad for the evap system under code p0446 i think. I just pulled it out and checked the resistance and it was bad.
What would the resistance have been if it was good?
Old 09-27-2008, 08:27 PM
goose5
1st Gear Member

My bad, wasnt thinking it was too early in the morning i guess Anyways, no big deal, it wont hurt your car
Old 09-27-2008, 09:26 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

For around $100.00 you can purchase a good OBD II / CAN scanner - reader and you can easily check the code yourself. Knowledge is power, especially when it comes to your SES light.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:15 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
It does not open when there is a vacuum present.
The fuel cap has a valve for that function.
Where did you get your information, Goose5?

What would the resistance have been if it was good?

I don't remember the specs I looked it up in all data.

The evap vent solenoid is only used when the evap system is being tested.

The purge solenoid however is used to vent the built up pressure like from an increase in temperature.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:02 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default UPDATE>>>>FIXED??THEN 2 DAYS LATER..BAD AGAIN

Well I had the part replaced on Friday...now one day later...it went bad again...this time went to an autozone and he advised me it was the evap emissions....sounds like same issue...I did notice that both times my car just went to the 50 miles to empty alert...then the light came on within a couple minutes...back to the dealer on Monday,,,