Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

control arm relocation? drag set up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PLstang
I don't have sway bars in the rear or the front. I really don't need them for what my car is used for. It primarily is a drag strip car with only minimal street use. It is street legal but has gotten to be too much to drive on the street......it's just not much fun anymore on the street.

Thats why I bought the cobra!
Oh come on now....we ALL know the *real* reason you bought the cobra......you were mesmerized by mine.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 PM
cougarfan088
2nd Gear Member

plstang...wouldnt you want it soft in the rear?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:18 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Soft=squat. You want it firm in the rear so no energy is absorbed/wasted by squatting.

As far as the fronts, I figured you would want them soft so that the front end would pop up easier. I'll try firm up front next time and see what happens.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:38 AM
cougarfan088
2nd Gear Member

but dont you want the wait to go to the front then distribute back to the rear? of so then you would need soft in the rear and stiff in the front...If you dont want it to squat i think that soft all around would work or maybe partially stiff in the front...not sure tho..
Old 10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cougarfan088
but dont you want the wait to go to the front then distribute back to the rear? of so then you would need soft in the rear and stiff in the front...If you dont want it to squat i think that soft all around would work or maybe partially stiff in the front...not sure tho..
Nope, full hard rear, full soft front. You want the shocks in the rear to oppose the compression of the suspension, and you want the front shocks to allow transfer by being set soft. One consequence of this I noticed on my track videos is the car will appear to nose-over during shifts because the front is set soft.

Adjust my d-specs this way led to my first 1.7x 60 foot times, with stock LCAs/UCA on a lowered car.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Ok, so I was right in my thinking about the front needing to be soft. I knew the rear was right.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:29 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cougarfan088
plstang...wouldnt you want it soft in the rear?
I am pretty certain this weekend is the final event for the NMRA in the middle of nowhere Kentucky, and PLstang and his crew have their SSO car at the races. He's probably there right now, making it happen.....so I would guess he more than likely will get back with an answer for you sometime tonight.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:37 PM
cougarfan088
2nd Gear Member

have stiiff in th rear and soft in the front allows better traction to the rear?..hmmm, i have never heard of this..so when it stiff the weight forces the stiffness down? and if it its soft in the rear it just absorbs the shift of the weight and doesnt use this? is that what your saying?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:49 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

If the rear is soft, it allows more play, thus lost power. It also increases wheel hope. When the rear is firm, it doesn't squat, so you don't have energy being lost in the suspension, and it cuts down/eliminates wheel hop.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:00 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

+1 if the car is squatting it's loosing a lot of energy. You'll also shake the tires (spin). You also don't want the front suspension too soft or the car will bounce when you pull the front tires, again unloading the rear tires.

So stiff rear suspension and softer front. You just have to work with it till you have it right!!!

Quick Reply: control arm relocation? drag set up?