Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty almost up, took it in for TSB's

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

glad to hear some people don't have a problem with getting TSBs fixed. i went in to have some fixed and the service guy went off on me because i knew about TSBs!?!
Old 10-02-2008, 03:08 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

I don't know if this is normal, but since this thread is going I noticed that after I picked up my car it seemed to be somewhat more sluggish. After about a day or so of driving it it seems that it's back to normal. I don't have a tune or anything, and since my car is an auto, I suspect that IF they disconnected the battery for whatever reason that the car had to reajust to my driving. I would assume maybe they reflashed something and that's why it felt that way, but is that possible?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Possible. Car needed to relearn your driving habits maybe
Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Took the car in Wed, was ready Fri. Picked it up in perfect condition. All my needs were met, and they did not flash my pcm! Great dealer experience. The cashier when I picked it up was like, waiting until just before the warranty was up to bring it in huh. I laughed, yup, she really didn't need any immediate attention, I got a great car!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

My 3 yr. warranty expired May 2008 and I've have had no problems.

(knock on wood! )
Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I had an appointment scheduled to fix the front end thunk today but canceled. They had to recreate the problem before they would perform the TSB. I realized from driving around on Friday night that only certain driveways and certain areas of the road bring up the problem. Basically I drove around for half an hour trying to replicate the problem and I got it to do it only once bad enough that my girlfriend could hear it. I'm not going to drive a Ford mechanic around for 1/2 hour trying to replicate this if there is no safety or function issue involved. Oh well. Unless it gets worse I'll just live with it.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I had an appointment scheduled to fix the front end thunk today but canceled. They had to recreate the problem before they would perform the TSB. I realized from driving around on Friday night that only certain driveways and certain areas of the road bring up the problem. Basically I drove around for half an hour trying to replicate the problem and I got it to do it only once bad enough that my girlfriend could hear it. I'm not going to drive a Ford mechanic around for 1/2 hour trying to replicate this if there is no safety or function issue involved. Oh well. Unless it gets worse I'll just live with it.
I TOTALLY feel you on that. Plus after driving the car who knows how or for who knows how long, they don't even replenish the gasoline. I'm not big on others driving my car... especially people I don't know. I once had the same issue, though. Only my alternator was dying on me all the time. My car would say Check Charging System and then a few minutes later it would die. I had a buddy who'd come and jump start it for me when it happened (one time while I was in the middle of the road). So I took it into the dealership and because my friend jumped started it, it reset the battery and therefore, they told me, erased all the message codes. So they had to drive it themselves for it to mess up on them and then pull out the code themselves. Naturally, they never got the car to act up. So I went in after the message, Check Charging System came up, and they got the code but they then wanted it to act up under their care, and of course it didn't do it. So finally when I was driving to work like a week later the car freaking died a little at a time... first there was a weird groaning sound coming from the engine bay, then I turned off the A/C to save power, then I couldn't lower the windows (it was a REALLY hot Texas day), so I continued on and then my lights went out, then the stereo, and I finally got to work and parked the car. When I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't. I couldn't even unlock the door with the remote, so I had to leave it unlocked. Then I called the dealership and told them that it died, but that I would send it to another dealership for fixing... the one I bought it at. They were great there and even would send a shuttle to pick me up when the car was ready to be picked up. It went out on a Saturday, and I believe it was ready on a Tuesday after they replaced the alternator.

So yeah, service departments can really suck sometimes, and unfortunately they don't care if you're left stranded in the middle of the road somewhere or in a dangerous area when your car dies. So long that they can't get it to re-enact the problem it's giving you then you're on your own until it either does or it dies on you.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I know what you mean. The one exception my dealer performed for me was the fuel pump TSB. I mentioned they would have to take the car on a highway trip for at least 25-30 miles before the car would stutter and at that point they just decided to not bother with the recreation of the problem and do the TSB anyway. I haven't tested it since I got it back. But they told me they changed out the pump. Unless given a reason to think otherwise I believe them.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

They did use some gas, but put no miles on it. I pulled in the lot with the 50 miles to empty warning going off. I got it back with 20 miles to empty, with like 1 mile added, and my avg mpg from 18.6 down to 18.5. I think they let it idle for a while.