Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome rim storage over the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:14 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Cool Chrome rim storage over the winter?

Group,

What is your method to keep your chrome rims nice over the winter? In the days when I had chrome from my pickup I would take them off wash them really good and then coat them with WD40 and stack them in the basement. With my new FR500's I was thinking about doing the same but I just had back surgery and the Dr advises to not lift more than 5lb for 3 months! The Stang will become a garage queen in about a month so I want to do somthing with them. Any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:23 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Store them in a warm dry place.
Maybe use some of this waxy product.
Mucho better than WD40.
Attached Thumbnails Chrome rim storage over the winter?-rustinhibitor.jpg  
Old 10-03-2008, 03:39 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

my tire shop recommends spraying cooking oil on the wheels during the winter.. and then washing them and re-applying whenever the weather dries up a little.. Looks like crap but keeps the corrosive snow melt from eating pits in the chrome. My stang will stay in the garage this winter, but my truck will be exposed and it took hours of polishing and scrubbing to get the corrosion off those wheels last spring, and with the pits and even spots where the chrome is gone, I might just have to drag out the ugly factory wheels and swap them out.. On my daily driver it might be worth the hassle.. on my mustang it would be a necessity.. I am not going to ruin another set of wheels..
Old 10-03-2008, 03:46 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I have chrome wheels on all four of my mustangs. I don't drive any of them in the winter and have never had any problems with them as long as they sit in the garage. Now if they saw the heavily salted roads around here I am sure it would become an issue.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:41 PM
bossdriver
1st Gear Member

All I have ever done is clean my wheels well and apply a nice coating of car wax (don't need to remove them from the car). Of course mine is stored inside all winter.
On an older car, 50s era, that I drove all winter.....I would rub all the chrome with 30 weight oil as I went into winter........in the spring I took it off with some mineral spirits and then waxed it.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:04 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bossdriver
All I have ever done is clean my wheels well and apply a nice coating of car wax (don't need to remove them from the car). Of course mine is stored inside all winter.
On an older car, 50s era, that I drove all winter.....I would rub all the chrome with 30 weight oil as I went into winter........in the spring I took it off with some mineral spirits and then waxed it.
Thanks for all the replies. I am a bit skeptical about leaving them in the garage on the car but Who knows...
Old 10-04-2008, 05:21 PM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

If you're taking them off and leaving them INSIDE somewhere that salt and snow cannot get to, is it really necessary to coat them in anything? Can't you just leave them in a box or a stack? (Forgive me if it's a newbie assumption...)
Old 10-04-2008, 06:49 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Reason I asked is because one year I just put my chrome wheel from my pickup in the basement with nothing on them. Clean but bare and in the spring when I got them out I had rust on several rims. I was PO'd and never did it again without the WD40
Old 10-04-2008, 07:18 PM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

Reason I asked is because one year I just put my chrome wheel from my pickup in the basement with nothing on them. Clean but bare and in the spring when I got them out I had rust on several rims. I was PO'd and never did it again without the WD40
Wow, I had no idea, good thing I stumbled upon your post so I can be sure and WD-40 mine for the Winter!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:06 PM
07MustangGT_girl
2nd Gear Member

Do what I did......move to California where there is no snow! Or if that is not possible, when I was in Nebraska and my car was garaged I didn't have any issues at all with rust during and after winter.

Quick Reply: Chrome rim storage over the winter?