Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still having 2nd gear grinding issues. Anyone get a fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:30 PM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

Default Still having 2nd gear grinding issues. Anyone get a fix?

So Months have passed.. Haven't had the time or cash to take it in to get looked at. My car will not go into 2nd gear without grinding unless I am going 20mph or slower and slowly shifting into the gear. I know a few of us had this problem and I read up and apparently Shelby's have a TSB on this? Any help would be great.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

Wow that sounds like something the dealer would be happy to oblige to with a repair. Especially if it happens on every shift as your post suggests.
My personal experience with it was a grind into 3rd gear. Took it to the dealer and they did something with regards to the clutch....well it didn't help with the grind, but the clutch was waaay smoother afterwards. It wasn't until I went with the Prothane motor mounts did my 3rd gear grind go away. Something to do with de-torqueing of the motor when at WOT causes a mild misalignment?. I can't quite recall the exact cause but I'm sure someone else can elaborate further
Old 10-06-2008, 09:01 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Look for a TSB on syncro's....sounds like the syncros are damaged or not working. If you were complaining under WOT then I would suggest Che rev limiters w/tq limiters but that is NOT the case...
Old 10-06-2008, 09:09 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem with second and third when the car is cold. I normally just stay slow when shifting and ease the car into 2nd and 3rd until the transmission has had a chance to warm up.

I was under the impression that the problem was a Mercon vs merconV issue. Is there something else?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

Car does this at all temps and sometimes I can even be not moving and put it in 2nd gear from neutral and get the grind...
Old 10-06-2008, 10:26 PM
moburto07GT
2nd Gear Member

Definitely sounds like a synchro problem. I had the same problem with 3rd gear on my 2007 GT with a little over 5,000 miles at the time. It would not go into 3rd gear unless i slowly forced it. I took it to the dealership and they tore down the transmission, and found that the 3rd gear synchro had had completely destroyed itself in the transmission. They replaced everything under warranty.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:52 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Hey Str8Wicked we really need to get this sorted out.....im having the same issues but i have the k member with torque limiters.....mine doesnt sound as bad as his and if i rev match it goes in a bit easier...im thinking the second gear synchro took a dump
Old 10-07-2008, 01:55 AM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moburto07GT
Definitely sounds like a synchro problem. I had the same problem with 3rd gear on my 2007 GT with a little over 5,000 miles at the time. It would not go into 3rd gear unless i slowly forced it. I took it to the dealership and they tore down the transmission, and found that the 3rd gear synchro had had completely destroyed itself in the transmission. They replaced everything under warranty.
+3829832723!

This happened to my 04 GT. My first gear synchro was worn, and no matter how hard I tried, it always grinded going into first. Does it also do it when the vehicle is at a dead stop? Try shifting directly from neutral to 2nd on a dead stop, see if it grinds. If this happens, shift into 3rd first, and then into second. Let us know what happens. If no grind, that is a sign (other than all the obvious ones) that it's the synchro. Very costly repair, get it to the dealer asap if it's covered.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 AM
VistaStangGT
1st Gear Member

My car is in the shop right now for a second gear grind. Earlier in the year I had the 2nd gear synchro and gear replaced along with the clutch (Spec Stage 1). I had a RAM TOB installed but it leaked while they were bleeding it so I'm back on the factory TOB. RAM rebuilt the TOB and the shop recommended I get the 3/4" spacer for the TOB. So, I am having the shop install the RAM TOB, and inspect the 2nd gear synchro again. My gut feeling (and the shops) is that the factory TOB wasn't strong enough to disengage the new clutch quickly enough. I already have torque limiters so that isn't the issue.

My symptoms are a little different than the OPs because mine shifts fine all times except when racing. When I first got it back with the new clutch, it would grind about 30% of the time. Now it grind almost every time if I don't give it a half second or so between first and second. Again, this was just during race conditions. On the street it is fine.

I'll let you know what happens when I get it back. I hope to have it back today or tomorrow and should be at the track friday and saturday and possibly sunday.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:30 PM
wolfie
1st Gear Member

TSB for this

TSB
08-9-6

4.6L WITH TR3650 MANUAL TRANSMISSION - CLASH OR RASPY FEEL - SHIFTING INTO 2ND AND/OR 3RD GEAR

Publication Date: April 24, 2008

FORD:

2007-2008 Mustang

ISSUE:

Some 2007-2008 Mustang vehicles equipped with the 4.6L engine and TR3650 5 speed manual transmission may exhibit a clash noise and / or raspy (rough) feel on gear engagements during 1-2 or 2-3 upshifts. This condition may be more pronounced when the transmission is colder than 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove the transmission following Workshop Manual (WSW), Section 308-03B.

Replace with new the 1-2 sychronizer and 3-4 sycronizer assemblies, following WSM, Section 308-03B.

Install the transmission following WSW, Section 308-03B.

PART NUMBER

PART NAME

3R3Z-7124-BA

1-2 Synchronizer

1R3Z-7124-DA

3-4 Sychronizer

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION

DESCRIPTION

TIME

080906A

2007-2008 Mustang 4.6L Engine TR3650 Transmission: Replace The 1-2 And 3-4 Synchronizers, Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission (Do Not Use With 7003A, 7003A2, 7003AZJ, 4602A, 5212B, 7564B)

6.6 Hrs.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.

CONDITION CODE

Quick Reply: Still having 2nd gear grinding issues. Anyone get a fix?