Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Appearance hood pins? yay or nay?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

all valid points. haha, there are a TON of fake hood scoops out there, even from the facotry. Never looked at it that way. Anyone with a fake hood scoop cant say crap about my fake hood pinds

Anyone know here i can get a nice fake cell phone antenna? the chrome is chipping off mine.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5SPD07GT
all valid points. haha, there are a TON of fake hood scoops out there, even from the facotry. Never looked at it that way. Anyone with a fake hood scoop cant say crap about my fake hood pinds ...
BUSTED! I take it all back. My hood scoop (and side scoops) are fake... But the hood scoop was factory rice! I can prove it!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:31 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

When I bought my car, I drove to Salt Lake City to get it, and drove 8 hours to get home.. The first thing I noticed driving home was how at ~80 mph the corners of the hood rode about 1/2 inch higher than the fender. The forward rake of the nose of this car is not exactly aerodynamic, and the wind creates a heck of an up force on the hood, which is attached at the center, allowing the hood to float up at the corners.

I have a fake hood scoop, side scoops, spoiler, etc for aesthetic purposes, but if I decide to put pins on, they will be very functional in that they will not allow the hood to lift up like that. Sure the factory latch is *probably* never going to fail but watching the hood corners come up like that makes me nervous enough to warrant drilling a couple holes. If I went to a fiberglass hood and was going to drive regularly on the interstate, I would most definitely put pins on. The only reason i have not done it yet is because I have not taken it on the highway since the day I bought it.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

Talking

i understand that the argument concerning fake vs. functional is valid here (i guess is shouldn't say boo since my hood scoop is factory fake), but in this case it may be altogether moot.

there is a practical benefit from installing real hood pins on the factory hood; do a search and you'll see multiple members mention that their hoods shake and lift somewhat at speeds greater than ~60mph.

now, the impetus behind my installation of the pins was mostly aesthetic (tbh, i wouldn't have installed them in the first place if i didn't like them), but i do like knowing that my hood will never smack my windshield.

so, i do agree that the fake ones would be a good trial run, but don't forget that the practical benefit is there, too.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Real is the only way to go with hood pins. Follow my how-to in the stickies...
Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 PM
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

i guess it's all up to preference.. i went with the appearance simply because i like the way they look and i didn't want to drill holes into my hood.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:11 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

can anyone point me to some black real hood pins? also, how long do they need to be? thamks
Old 10-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Hood Pins?

No Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Would feel like a real moron if my hood ever popped loose and flipped up and had fake hood pins attached. These rate right up there with the brake covers or the push button start.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5SPD07GT
all valid points. haha, there are a TON of fake hood scoops out there, even from the facotry. Never looked at it that way. Anyone with a fake hood scoop cant say crap about my fake hood pinds

Anyone know here i can get a nice fake cell phone antenna? the chrome is chipping off mine.
Factory fake versus aftermarket fake is a HUGE difference. HUGE!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Appearance hood pins? yay or nay?