Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer scratched car, need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:42 PM
theresa
4th Gear Member

I always do a walk around when I drop my car off now. Same thing happened to me when I took it in for the first oil change. They parked it in the regular lot and someone opened up a door on it. It chipped the paint on the passenger side door. I was lucky it didn't dent it. It cost me $125 to get it fixed. I couldn't prove it happened there because I didn't notice it till the next day. I tell them the story and they are always happy to do a walk around. Hope they fix it for u.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

A few years ago and for about a year I worked in a dealership service department doing customer shuttle, parts chasing, and miscellaneous odd jobs. Noting pre-existing conditions was performed on just about every car that came in, including both exterior and interior items. While I can't speak for others who also did these inspections, if I saw something it got written down, even if it was as minor as a missing valve stem cap. Didn't matter whether the car was purchased there or even that it might be another make, everybody got the same treatment.

I think that in this case, since the damage cannot be undone and the manager is aware of it, he deserves the opportunity to make things right. Ball's in his court, and beating up on him before he's had the chance to do anything about it isn't going to help anybody.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-09-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

It sounds like the manager said he would take care of it, so wait it out and see that he does. If not, confront him about it calmly/politely (because this usually works better) and ask why. If for some reason you can't get a resolution, go find your salesperson if he/she works there and you bought the car there. If not, find one of the managers in the new car area and explain your plight. It helps sometimes to get some pressure put on from the other side of the fence at the dealership. I've done this with success before... They usually don't want to risk you not buying another car from there, or bad-mouthing the place to your family/friends over something trivial. Its bad for business... so I've actually had a new car manager talk with a service manager in the past and convince them to take some action.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:44 PM
boosted94
1st Gear Member

I had a black '05 Acura TL that I took in for an oil change at a local dodge dealership (did business with them a few times so I figured why not). I explicitly said DO NOT wash the car when the oil change is done. Well they washed it anyways. When I showed up there were literally thousands of scratches on the car. The first word out of the service managers mouth was 'they were already there'. Instead of arguing with him I went straight to the sales manager (whom also is the owners son) and told him what had happened.
They agreed to take the car to a local shop to see what they could do. They ended up repainting the whole car. Unfortunately 3 months later the car was totaled by the Acura dealer I had purchased the car from, but thats another story.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Brilliant09GT

Did you happen to take any pictures of the car before you took it in? If so you can point out in the pictures (if it comes to this) and prove that there wasnt a scratch there before. I would hope they would repair it though. The Dealer I worked at when I bought my GT would repair it. Nice guys and girl in Service dept. there. You may not be so lucky though.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

EVERY TIME I have taken my car in, I grab the service manager and the accessories salesman and walk around it. I ask them if they see any flaw? They say no and I walk way. I always get back a very polished black GT
Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 PM
buddyantunez1
2nd Gear Member

if you make a big enough deal out of it, i bet they will repair the car, but i wouldnt recommend going there anymore after.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:13 AM
pharmd2010
2nd Gear Member

Okay, a little update. I talked to the service representative yesterday and she told me that she actually DID do a walk around when my car was brought in, and she DID NOT document any prior damage to the car! I'm very relieved. She said that the Service Manager has already made plans to take it to the body shop and have it "touched up". Now, yet another question... what should I expect out of the repair? The car looked perfect before it went in to their shop, so should I expect it to be 100% like it was when I get it back? Just curious how far I should push it. I hate to be difficult about it, but then again, it is THEIR mistake. So, some thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Should I expect it to be "touched up", or should I be expecting a total repaint of the area the scratch is at? A touch up job is definitely going to still be able to be seen. Thanks for all the replies guys!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Mustang Lvr

Originally Posted by pharmd2010
Okay, a little update. I talked to the service representative yesterday and she told me that she actually DID do a walk around when my car was brought in, and she DID NOT document any prior damage to the car! I'm very relieved. She said that the Service Manager has already made plans to take it to the body shop and have it "touched up". Now, yet another question... what should I expect out of the repair? The car looked perfect before it went in to their shop, so should I expect it to be 100% like it was when I get it back? Just curious how far I should push it. I hate to be difficult about it, but then again, it is THEIR mistake. So, some thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Should I expect it to be "touched up", or should I be expecting a total repaint of the area the scratch is at? A touch up job is definitely going to still be able to be seen. Thanks for all the replies guys!
The dealer where I go has fixed damage done while they had it several times. Although, usually it was the subcontractor they were using during the two top replacments. I've never had any problem with them owing up to damage or fixing it.

Sounds like your issue will be resolved. You should get a free loaner until your car is fixed up.

Best of luck to you.

-G
Old 10-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yes you should expect it to be 100% like it was before. Just make sure they do a good job on the touch up. A good body shop can work wonders, I wouldn't haul off and ask for an entire repaint until you see how well they did.

Quick Reply: Dealer scratched car, need advice...