MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Rear Black Panel Stolen / How To Remove 3M? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/488931-rear-black-panel-stolen-how-to-remove-3m.html)

washamur 10-09-2008 09:42 PM

Rear Black Panel Stolen / How To Remove 3M?

Well, I was taking my trash out and as I came walking back up to the apartment, I noticed the back of my car looking different.

I walked up to it, and there's 2 strips of 3M adhesive, but no black panel. I can see where it was "forced" off ... so I KNOW it didn't just come off. I can only hope the SOB that took it, ended up cracking it, or even better cutting himself on the plastic!

At any rate ... the weather here is staying a constant 75-80 degrees, so it's obviously going to be a LONG tedious process of getting the 3M off.

Any suggestions for a quick / safe removal?

-thanks-

rshamekh 10-09-2008 10:39 PM

I just used GooGone and 3M adhesive remover
to remove the adhesive after I took off my spoiler.

I found 3M to work better. $11 at Napa.

Mudflap 10-09-2008 11:43 PM

Get some stuff called Goof Off. Its in a yellow can. Works far better than Goo Gone. You'll have to wax the area when you are done...

Javdog 10-09-2008 11:58 PM

The best stuff out is called Rapid Remover the sign and banner guys use this and it works really well I have used it and i really like how easy it is to use. Spray it generously let it sit for a min. and then wipe it off voila and its gone.

Orion_240 10-10-2008 02:03 AM

WD-40 dude!
Don't spray it on, as it will blow the old tape off!
Soak an old rag with it and wipe the old residue right off. Then clean the area and get a fresh coat of wax over it.

MiikeC 10-10-2008 05:16 AM

WD40 also...thats all I use when the kids put stickers all over everything

Chris07GT 10-10-2008 09:17 AM

WD40 or the 3M adhesive remover. WD40 is cheaper, so try that first. Just remember to wax any area where you get the WD40.

Mudflap 10-10-2008 09:42 AM

I've tried all this stuff, I'm telling ya, Goof Off! ;) Put a little on a paper towel and the adhesive comes off like butter... I had a WRX a few years ago and removed the "SUBARU" letters from the trunk. Let me tell you, the amount of crap left stuck to the car was insane. I tried anything and everything, then saw a post on a board like this about Goof Off, so I went to Home Depot and picked up a little can for $6. I got the rest of the crap off the back of the car literally in 5 minutes.

degeze 10-10-2008 10:11 AM

Sorry to hear about the panel. Jealousy is everywhere.
In my experience GooGone has done a great job of removing adhesives.

Mudflap 10-10-2008 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by degeze (Post 5532162)
Sorry to hear about the panel. Jealousy is everywhere.

Yeah it sucks. If this were my daily driver, I would have zero appearance mods to try and stay as low key as possible. You really can't have anything nice these days, because there is always a piece of @#$% out there willing to randomly destroy it or just be a jerk in general. :mad:

In the immortal words of Vincent Vega (Pulp Fiction):

"What's more chicken$@# than &*#@ing with a man's automobile? I mean, don't @#$% with another man's vehicle. It's just against the rules. "