Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious about Hurst Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 02:59 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

I have had my Hurst on for 20K or so. I love it. I have had no problems with it. Every few weeks after i put the car on ramps and check all of the bolts and bushings. I would also check the screws on the stick. Made sure they were all tight. On one occaision i had a rattle in 4th gear on deceleration, not sure what rpm. I love this shifter! I don't power shift often. I am a spirited driver though. I've flogged the **** out of it number of times and it responded well. BTW this is the Pro Comp Plus i'm talking about, i have no experience with the new billet ones. Anyone care to comment on those?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:36 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

loctite those bitches and they wont go nowhere. I have the steeda I put in about a month ago and ordered the hurst the othe rnight. Although I didnt test the tri axe out to much it just wasnt short enough for what I was looking for. I shifted really hard with it tonight and it chirped 3rd harder then I ever had with the stock shifter and I didnt even shift that hard. Looking forward to the mm of movement it feels like it takes to move the hurst.

I also thought the hurst was easier to move then the steeda, even though says opposite in MGW write up.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:46 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Its funny you mentioned that Mike as I had the Steeda (now MGW) and drove a whippled stang that had the hurst and I preferred it over the Steeda tri-ax. The guy that let me drive it told me it was notchy but since I have been driving a stick since before I had a license I can drive any car with any type of manual trans (easy or not). I liked the notchiness of that shifter but ended with the MGW (go figure)
Old 10-11-2008, 05:24 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Ive tried them all now and I have to say hurst, basically why I went with it. I guess I lied I havent tried the b&M but heared its the same as the hurst. MGW felt good also but I tried that out maybe 2 weeks after I had my car so I wasnt so used of the stock shifter even so it was really hard to get a good feel for it.

MGW looks like a qaulity piece though compared to the hurst, even though thery both perform.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I've had the Hurst for over a year and have no regrets.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 AM
CorruptedDemon60
2nd Gear Member

no problems at all for me.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:36 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i'd hold out for an mgw. if you keep checking the classifieds you can find them between $200-$250
Old 10-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Hurst FTW. It even looks better. But the MGW does have a shorter throw. But again the Hurst is just classy and classic.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:09 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
Hurst FTW. It even looks better. But the MGW does have a shorter throw. But again the Hurst is just classy and classic.

First time i've ever heard that an MGW has a shorter throw than a Hurst.

In the Novermber issue of 5.0 mustang and super fords magazine, they just did a comparison of 4 S197's with 4 different shifters. The shifters were Hurst, Pro 5.0, MGW, and B&M. The owners of the cars drove each of them (except their own car) then filled out a questionaire about their thoughts and the way they felt. They were graded on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest score. The scores were:

Hurst- 8.3
B&M- 8
MGW- 7.6
Pro-5.0- 7
Old 10-11-2008, 11:14 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

yah i saw that article. If i recall correctly, no one had a negative comment on the mgw but there was a few on the hurst. its all personal preference. The MGW is adjustable in the lenght of the handle and the distance of the throws. It is shorter than the Hurst if you adjust it right. Pretty much you can tune the MGW to your liking. Both are great shifters but you can always count on great customer service from George at MGW. Something breaks, which i've only heard of 1 time, he mails out the new part asap free of charge. Not to mention i have never heard anyone complain of the mgw having rattles. The mgw also comes with dynamat to cover the floor around the shifter setup.

Quick Reply: Curious about Hurst Shifter