Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Must Have for your Next Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:53 AM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

Default A Must Have for your Next Oil Change

Well, if your like me and like to do your own oil changes. Plus, you like to keep your Stang in Top Shape, here's something to check out. I just found out about this on Friday and did my oil change today. I beleive Anything that 'could' help keep my Stang running better, then I'm all for it. To me, it's like cheap insurance. Worth every penny.

http://www.enginesentry.com/home.html

Dave...
Old 05-23-2005, 01:22 AM
nitrojunkee
1st Gear Member

Default RE: A Must Have for your Next Oil Change

Geez, its amazing with the crap that they come up with......LOL. Oh well, if people didnt buy the "engine savior" prducts, I guess companies would stop making them.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:33 AM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrojunkee

Geez, its amazing with the crap that they come up with......LOL. Oh well, if people didnt buy the "engine savior" prducts, I guess companies would stop making them.
CRAP?[sm=bangbang.gif] Hey, you don't want one, or beleive they do anything, DON'T BUY ONE. Crap?[sm=dontgetit.gif] Funny, If you have an 05 Mustang, your Transmission drain plug is Magnetic? I wonder what good that would do? All car & trucks have a magnet in thier tranny pan! I guess you just know better than the rest of us[sm=alcoholic.gif]

DAve...
Old 05-23-2005, 01:42 AM
nitrojunkee
1st Gear Member

Yeah CRAP !!!! Ive had performance engines do just fine without magnetic anything......so as I see it its a "GIMMICK". I know plenty about gimmick products , ive been in the auto parts business for WAY TOO long , and watch thousands of people buy JUNK like this all the time.......and it always cracks me up LOL. And yes magnetic drain pan plugs have been around forever.....so what?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:50 AM
nitrojunkee
1st Gear Member

I wasnt jumping on you with my first post.......thats just my opinion of the product. You stated yours and I was stating mine, thats it.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Hoose84
2nd Gear Member

I prefer the magnetic rings you can put around the outside of your filter. Prior to that I always used the ones you could stick to the bottom of your oil pan. I did the same with the trans pan well before it became common. I don't know how much it actually helps your engine by doing this, but common sense tells me I don't want crap filling my oil passages. 185K miles on my Vette and I only change my oil every 10k miles. So it can't hurt.

The only thing I see with this product is that it's placed in the filter and disposed. Good marketing plan. Find the ring type and it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Hoose84
Old 05-23-2005, 01:54 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I remember not too long ago people putting a magnet on the side of their oil filter. No idea if it did any good or not. There are also magnets on the drain plug. Personally, I think the drain plug thing might be enough, but hey, if it gets that one stray extra piece out that would cause damage, then kewl. If not, then just make your next trip to work at normal driving pace instead of hot rod speed and recoop the spent money in fuel economy. Either way it works for everyone involved. The purchaser has piece of mind ( be it false security or not ) and the seller made a buck.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:08 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Actually the theory behind this is pretty sound. A magnet will be able to attract and hold particles and are caused by normal wear that are too small to be trapped by the filter. I'm not so sure about putting anything inside the filter though as it might restrict flow. A magnetic drain plug can't restrict flow and would accomplish the same thing. I have used magnetic drain plugs on all my engines for more than 20 years and they have all lasted a very long time. Each time I drain the oil I always find a small amount of crap attached to the plug. These particles must be too small to be trapped by the filter othersie they wouldn't be there.
I'm not too sure though if all factory drain plugs are magnetic. They certainly were not on any vehicle I have owned. I'll be checking the one on my Mustang when it arrives.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:13 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Well, you are probably right. I was kind of speaking out of school on that one. I doubt the factory drain plug is magnetic. The one on my Harley is, and I sort of crossed that over and used it for an example. My bad.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:21 AM
Hoose84
2nd Gear Member

An assortment of them, although not as I remember them. The ones I'm thinking of wrapped all the way around the filter.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

Hoose84

Quick Reply: A Must Have for your Next Oil Change