Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Spark Plug HELP!! scary pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:18 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sandy
What are the champion plugs that are so good? I've seen mention of the kind to buy on the forum, but I can't find it. Also, anyone have any idea what a typical dealership charges to install a set of champions?
They are Champion #7989 and the reason they are so good is that they are a traditional 1-piece spark plug. The Motorcraft and Autoloite plugs for the 3v 4.6 are a 2-piece design and they can separate and cause the OP's problem.

Those of us who have ACTUALLY installed them in our Mustangs are quite happy with the results. Mine have been in since spring and my GT runs great.

I won't ever have to worry about digging out a broken OEM plug.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:03 AM
SGT3670

Any updates?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:50 AM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the info cavediver. I'm going to make the change as soon as I can. Suppose I'll pay the dealer to do it - having it go wrong sounds super scary..
Old 11-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SGT3670
Any updates?
I can't get the effin porcelain out! I purchased the spark plug extractor, but i can't use it until i remove the porcelain that is stuck in the electrode. I've tried carbide drill bits, glass bits and metal bits. They all dull after one turn of the bit. I've been practacing on the spark plugs that were successfully removed to see what will work best--but no luck so far . Does any one have any ideas or tips for removing the porcelain from the electrode

Last edited by Jersey Stang; 11-01-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:32 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Champion Plugs

Originally Posted by my77stang
does anyone else make plugs besides autolite and champion? im another one of those people who would rather not use a champion plug if i can help it. historically they have been a lower quality product than pretty much every other brand out there.

Have to disagree with you here. I installed the #7989 Champions after fighting the Ford crap design battle with broken plugs. My Champions have been running PERFECTLY for over 10,000 miles. I would NEVER go back to a 2 piece plug. The only other plug I know of is Brisk. I have read several posts where guys have not been happy with them, several where guys have loved them. They are expensive, and they have a short service life, not being platinum. Champions are double platinum. I called and talked to the Brisk people, they indicated their plug was designed as a racing plug, not a plug for daily drivers.
I am very satisfied with my Champions.

Last edited by Goldenpony; 11-02-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
I can't get the effin porcelain out! I purchased the spark plug extractor, but i can't use it until i remove the porcelain that is stuck in the electrode. I've tried carbide drill bits, glass bits and metal bits. They all dull after one turn of the bit. I've been practacing on the spark plugs that were successfully removed to see what will work best--but no luck so far . Does any one have any ideas or tips for removing the porcelain from the electrode
JB weld a 8" piece of metal coat hanger wire into the hole in the center of the porcelain and then pull it out! Make sure you bust up a good sparkplug and play around with it to make sure the coat hanger wire will fit first. If it doesn't fit, chuck the wire into a drill and wrap the tip of it with some sandpaper and spin the drill while holding the sandpaper. This will lathe the tip down to the right diameter.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:41 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

This is crazy...sorry about your troubles I wish I could help you out.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:43 AM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Oh man, this topic is really starting to worry me. My car has about 26K on it, and still the stock plugs. I really want to get this over with, but lack of time and want to do it is delaying this issue. With my luck, all 8 plugs will break anyway.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:22 PM
pats

Hello all.I hope I'm doing this correctly.I first read of the spark plug issue last winter/spring.I ordered the champion plugs from summit(at their initail price-which they honored-great company).I decided to wait till this falls pre-storage service to have them insatlled by the dealer where i have my service work done.I had talked to the service manager-a great guy-regarding plug breakage and he said they had encountered it in the f150's but not so far in the mustangs-so they were experienced in the issue.Noe a few facts-the car is a 2006 gt,automatic,3:31 rear gear;owned since fall of 2006.In 2007 I purchased and installed a C&L street cai and tunes from B-ma chips.I ran the 93 performance tune all last year.The car is a fair weather driver with a few trips to the track.This spring(2008) Ihad FRRP 3:73 gears installed,again with the cai and updated tunes,mostly ran the 92 octane tune.When The plugs were chaned last wek,the car had 35,000 km (22,000 mi.)on it.The service manager said they came out without a problem, and cost was reasonable. (fall service +plug change-less than 150.00 can.)I had previuosly gapped the plugs to .045,and in the couple days I drove it before putting it away it seemed to run as well or better than previuosly.Sorry for the long windedness,bit i thought it time to return something after getting a lot of info and ideas from this forum.Hopefully my experience will benefit others.