Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Spark Plug HELP!! scary pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Broken Spark Plug HELP!! scary pics inside

So I was swapping out my spark plugs. I got the first 5 done without any problems. On the sixth one, i followed the same procedure, but it wouldn't come out. I was able to see the nut turn, but the plug wasn't moving. I tried to pull from the nut, and thats when i saw the thing break apart. First the nut came, then moments later i pulled out the top of the plug. now I have the electrode still stuck in my engine!!!
I followed the TSB and it still broke off. not only once, but twice!
I need some help from anyone that has tried to remove it from this point. I heard the tool from Snap-on is about $400-500. does anyone have it and want to sell it? How did it work for you? does anyone else have any other options.
I spoke to ford, its out of warranty, and they quoted me about $450 to remove them.
Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Broken Spark Plug HELP!!  scary pics inside-dsc01025.jpg   Broken Spark Plug HELP!!  scary pics inside-dsc01026.jpg  
Old 10-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's a TSB on this...
Old 10-20-2008, 03:49 PM
SGT3670

This is my first post, and I had the same thing happen to me. To get the plug out, I removed most of the ceramic that was left down in the electrode and tapped the electrode with a 3/8 tap. I then threaded a long piece of 3/8 allthread down into the electrode, then hooked the allthread up to some chain and my hydraulic porta puller and pumped away. It was really stuck. It came out. I then proceeded to use some tubing connected to a vac and cleaned up anything that may have fallen into the heads. I will pm you a pic since I cannot attach one.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
SGT3670

someone pm me your email addy and I will email the pic for you to post since I cannot.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i'm so scared to do this change...
Old 10-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

SGT, PM was sent.
Tex, I don't know what went wrong. I followed the TSB precisely. I even let the penetrating oil soak an extra 15 minutes. and now after a day of soaking, it still won't budge. I figured i can use thin copper wire with some epoxy, but i'm not sure which epoxy to use. Does anyone else have a homemade device they used to pull out the plugs?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:37 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

The Snap on tool is about $95. Oreillys sells the same kit for $80 I think. The Oreillys kit has another part in it to push down the remaining porcelin to make room for the tap. The kit is actually made by Lisle. So if you dont have an Oreillys near you, find out what store in your area carries Lisle tools. They can get it for you. I'm sure most parts counter guys are gonna say "huh?' when you ask for a Ford spark plug extraction kit. Oreilys currently has it listed in their October tool flyer for shops. I cant find my flyer and I dont remember the kit #.

Following the TSB does NOT ensure getting out the plugs in one piece. Only lessens the chance of them breaking. If your not careful using the extraction tool, things could get worse. Its not really that hard, but you have to be careful not to allow the shavings from tapping the ground shield to get down into the cylinder. You can put some grease on the tap to make the shavings stick to it and the kit has a small rubber cap that goes down into the shield to keep them from going in as well.

If it seems to be a bit overwhelming for you, remember a tow bill and the dealer/shop price to finish it up is much less than fixing a messed up engine.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 10-20-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Wow.. I was also scared to swap my plugs (at 20k miles) but figured wtf and did them. I used breakfree solvent and they all came out (phew!).

I would suggest to anyone go ahead and swap those puppies out ASAP! The car runs much better with the open electrode champion plugs and you have piece of mind afterwards.

If it's going to happen it's going to happen and the sooner you get those 2-piece plugs out.. the better.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the info. There isn't an oreilly around here so i will have to keep hunting. and i think you're right, i might have to just tow and have the dealership fix it. but before i do, i still want to see if there are any other guys that successfully pulled out the broken electrode. thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

If I remember correctly there was a guy on here that created his own "custom" tool to remove the lower part of the plug from the head. Anything you can get down there and "hook" onto the shroud should work but be careful with the alum head not to damage it. whatever the cost, you'll rest easier knowing those 2-piece plugs are out of there.

Quick Reply: Broken Spark Plug HELP!! scary pics inside