Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak from air intake filter...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:03 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Default Oil leak from air intake filter...

here are some picks of my intake and pcv tubes...

as you can see, on the drivers side i have a oil breather filter on the valve cover stem and a cap over the corresponding stem on the air intake manifold...

on the passenger side, the pcv tube is still in place from the intake elbow to the valve cover stem....

i have had this setup for some time now...i have not made any engine modifications or additions in the last 6 months...

i popped my hood today and noticed some oil at the bottom of the steeda intake stainless heat shield...as you look to try to see where the oil has leaked from, you can see the trail it made as it came from the bottom of the intake filter, down the shield....

i was under my hood on tuesday and did not notice this.....

i pulled off the passenger pcv tube and checked to see if it was clogged and there was no problem there...i cleaned off the stem that is on the passenger side of the intake elbow and blew air into it and there was no resistance at all and u can hear the air passing through with no problem....

any ideas?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Well oil does come out of the valve cover port that you have the breather on. I am not sure if that is where it would be coming out of but it would make sense to me. i highly doubt its coming back through the actually intake. But i am curious why you have the "breather" on there to begin with??
Old 10-24-2008, 02:15 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
Well oil does come out of the valve cover port that you have the breather on. I am not sure if that is where it would be coming out of but it would make sense to me. i highly doubt its coming back through the actually intake. But i am curious why you have the "breather" on there to begin with??
+1...
Old 10-24-2008, 02:20 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Take off the air filter
only and look up into the intake tube.
Any traces of oil there?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
BlackSpirit
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xxDerek
+1...
+2 not needed, I've seen Dyno results on imports that loose power from it, let alone their messy, and not needed.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

The breather is a carry over from the carb days basically. Our cars dont need/use them though at all though. I would just put the vacuum line back on there with a oil separator perhaps to reduce the amount of oil return to the intake manifold and such.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

well, it really doesnt matter if there is a mini cone filter on the driver side valve cover as long as air can enter and escape because of the variant pressures inside the valves....the mini cone filter is not what is leaking....the mini cone is for looks and was on a procharged s197 i saw at a daytona beach car show we headed up last year.......

oil is coming out the large cone filter on the end of my intake elbow....i havent got home yet but when i get there, i will take the air intake elbow and filter off of the throttle body you check them...im sure ill see oil residue from the throttle body ports as well as inside the intake elbow...only questions is "why"...
Old 10-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

where would it be coming from? through the PCV?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:40 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by 0NF1R
well, it really doesnt matter if there is a mini cone filter on the driver side valve cover as long as air can enter and escape because of the variant pressures inside the valves....the mini cone filter is not what is leaking....the mini cone is for looks and was on a procharged s197 i saw at a daytona beach car show we headed up last year.......

oil is coming out the large cone filter on the end of my intake elbow....i havent got home yet but when i get there, i will take the air intake elbow and filter off of the throttle body you check them...im sure ill see oil residue from the throttle body ports as well as inside the intake elbow...only questions is "why"...
OK if there is a great amount of residue and oil on those components i would put the stock vacuum line back on, clean the elbow and TB and then run the car with the proper setup and see if you have the oil still coming into the elbow and out of the filter.

If it is still happening you know you have another problem. You should probably take the intake manifold off and check inside of that to see how much oil residue is in there. I highly doubt its coming through there, that would mean you have some real issues. My guess is its coming from the passenger side line.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:29 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

With a breather on you basically reversed the PCV system. The oil is being forced back into the intake through the stock breather hose attached to the cai.

Our engines need proper venting witch is aided by the vacuum. At WOT you are forcing oil back into the intake.

Get a proper oil catch can. Can be had on e-bay for less than 50bux. I picked mine up for 35bux.

You are also loosing power due to the PCV system not working properly as the engine vacuum aids in engine efficiency by removing the pressure imbalances in the engine. Also if the filter blocks up completely you will most likely blow oil out the intake like a pump and possibly blow the gasket off the oil pan.

I am surprised the car even idles properly. Must be the ecu opening the throttle body up slightly to stop it from dying.

FYI, after about 4k miles with my oil catch can, My oil looks cleaner per mile driven than with ought it and the stuff I drain from my catch can looks like sludge and smells like unburnt gasoline. I have nearly 5k miles on this oil and the oil is still almost amber.

Quick Reply: Oil leak from air intake filter...