Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP cams/idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:33 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

What I meant was people with tune are having FRPP idle issues. I'm not sure I've read about a guy with a Thumpr & a tune having an idle issue.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:07 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Rubrignitz,

I read your first thread you posted before you had the cams installed. I'm not sure if you accounted for a tune before you installed the cams. If you did not account for the tune then it is not a shop issue its a tuning issue, as you could see from the responses. A mail order tune may not work you. From what I have read these cams are cumbersome to tune. Once you find a good tuner to tune your car then you'll be fine.
I see that you located in Austin TX I'm sure you could find a good tuner in your area.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I actually had a tune from Bama that was "supposed" to work with these cams but it's obviously not working that well.

I'm going to run the car down to murillo motorsports on Tuesday afternoon and leave it there. Their tuner doesn't show up until Wednesday morning.

I've heard they're one of the best tuners in central TX. Hopefully they can work out the kinks or the old cams go back in. I'm going to just tell them to keep the car until its driveable again.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:58 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

^^I can't help you out with the cams, as I don't have that much know-how about the intake/exhaust valves and such of our cars....but I do sympathize with you about the car. It is so frustrating to attempt to upgrade the car, only to have to deal with it not being right.

Good luck...I hope it gets straightened out soon!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I just talked to Chris at Murillo Motorsports and setup an appointmemt for Wednesday. He sounded pretty positive about working the kinks out and said they had already done several 3V cam swaps.

I'm feeling a little bit better now... Thanks for the support guys. If anyone else is thinking about these cams, I would definitely scope out a GREAT tuner first, and secondly someone that has actually done cam swaps in a 3V (the shop I brought mine to obviously had never swapped cams in a 3V before). I'm astounded they let me have the car back running like this...
Old 11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Bringing the car down to Murillo in SA today and leaving it. It really seems odd that FRPP would advertise a motor with these cams in it if it's not tunable. We'll see what murillo can do with it this week...

I'm guessing this is a basically stock 3V with the FRPP cams in it producing 350 (flywheel?) hp. I'm producing 320.62 at 6200rpm w/o a "driveable" tune. I'm really dedicated to getting these cams working right, but it's going to get expensive...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10584
Old 11-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

the other thing that makes me think the tune is way off is the fact that my exhaust smells VERY rich. Like a freakin' gas station.

I know the overlap will cause some unburnt fuel to escape but damn... will the car always smell like unburnt gas even after a good tune?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:03 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

odds are it wont smell like gas after its tuned correctly. My car was the same, then i did the off road x pipe and a few other things and it smelled like an open drum of gasoline. I got the car tuned and i cant even smell it anymore. the car was running reaaaaal rich and then reaaaal lean up top. (no i dont have FRPP cams, but i want em)
Old 11-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
the other thing that makes me think the tune is way off is the fact that my exhaust smells VERY rich. Like a freakin' gas station.

I know the overlap will cause some unburnt fuel to escape but damn... will the car always smell like unburnt gas even after a good tune?
If you cant get it fixed in SA, i know a tuner in houston here that has tuned them just fine.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

WELL let me know, brother!! PM me please. I'll run this car all over the state if someone can get it running right.

If I can't get a dependable 320whp out of this car with these cams, they're getting yanked...

Not worth the time/expense for another 20whp and everyone else here can benefit from my (costly)mistake...

Quick Reply: FRPP cams/idle issues