Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infiniti G37 just as good as mustang? (new baby coming)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:43 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grampa_stang
Are you hell bent on staying a 1-car family? 2 cars is a pretty much a must nowadays. I'd say keep the stang and don't spend a ton on an Infinity.....

2-car family? How about a 4-car? LOL.........(it's an illness).
Old 11-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Just buy an inexpensive 4 door car and keep both no need to get rid of the mustang if you are making the kind of money that you can look at a G37.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Dannyf8989
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Analyzer52
Just buy an inexpensive 4 door car and keep both no need to get rid of the mustang if you are making the kind of money that you can look at a G37.
^ agreed... How important is it that youre driving around a nice brand new car? You can always look for something thats like 3 or 4 years old, itll be decent, doesn't have to be a performance machine then you get to keep your stang. Congrats on the baby though.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

im guessing you mean the 2009 g37 come out in a few months? we have owned a g37 (330hp) for about 3 months now... its a nice car but not 46grand nice.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:36 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
If you are looking at the G37, go over to the BMW dealership and look at BMW 335s. Those cars are sick. My GT with intake, 93 tune, and 3.73s still feels slow compared to the 335 sedans. The twin turbo six cylinder motor is a torque monster and pulls like crazy from any engine speed. It also has an amazing stability control program which will keep you and your loved ones safe during emergency maneuvers or on poor road conditions.
Yes yes win win win!
This man is correct. Listen to him.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the baby, and 2 cars is always better than 1... but Im single and have 2... and still like having more than 1...
Old 11-02-2008, 12:45 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

just do what i do...

Old 11-02-2008, 01:06 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

My daughter will be here in january. I have an M1a1 Main BattleTaurus as a daily driver. just get a semi old car and call it good.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:30 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Default I agree--save the money and get a used car

I'd advise you to save the money you'd spend on the new Infiniti and buy a solid used car. I've gone through the baby thing myself. What I can tell you is that your car is GOING to be a mess. Babies and kids spill stuff on the seat, get crayon marks on things, crunch up cheerios everywhere, etc. Believe me, you don't want to drive something so pristine that you are going to get upset every time these little mishaps happen. And happen they WILL. Also, you tend to drive a lot more carefully with kids in the car. You just don't rocket around as much. I'd definitely go for a 4 door. Go with something reliable (you won't have time to be running to the dealer all the time) and safe. Look especially at the rear passenger crash test data before you buy.

I just bought my used 2008 V6 Stang convertible and looked at LOTS of cars before I did it. I've found that in my market used cars are going for a song these days. There are LOTS of good choices out there on the used market. I looked hard at the late model BWM 3 series and the Acura TSX. They are relaible, safe, and fun to drive. If you must have something new, I really liked the Nissan Altima. Even with the 4 cylinder it's a lot quicker than you'd expect and about half the cost of the Infiniti.

Although I cringe even to suggest it, there's a reason why so many parents buy minivans. Although I was glad to finally get rid of ours when my last kid turned 12, I was also glad to have one when we did. They come in really handing when you are schlepping all of the kid stuff to grandmas and when you are taking your child and 5 or 6 friends to a party. We had a Honda, which actually handled pretty close to an Accord. You could buy one used and get rid of it when the kid gets a little older.

If you make one of these choices you may be able to keep the Stang to drive around when the wife lets you.

Last edited by atldave; 11-02-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:44 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4wheelkillr
Well I've hit a tough crossroad in my life.
I've been an avid mustang fan my entire life, worked on them when I was a kid, rebuilt a few classics, and have driven them for many years.

Now the wife tells me she's pregnant...and it's MINE!! oh crap! what do I do!?!

A few of our friends have told us the ONE thing they hated most about the baby hassle is the 2-door coupe that they own. Getting into and out of those with a car seat and a baby is a pain in the rear! And I bet it'd be hard to get a baby seat even into the back seat of the S197, let alone in and out and in and out every 20 minutes while you run around town.

So I started doing some homework and I've always loved Infiniti.
The new G37 is set to hit stores in another month or so. It has 330HP/270TQ. Per Car and Driver magazine it's only MARGINALLY slower that the stock mustang GT, and I mean MARGINALLY! Only .1 seconds slower 0-60 and .2 seconds slower in the 1/4 mile. Plus it's an Infiniti!

Granted the infiniti is $10k more than the Mustang new, it's a beautiful car inside and out. Has all the bells and wistles that just aren't available on the Mustang.

BUT!!!.....
I love my Mustang. I've got about $2500 in goodies and it sounds and drives exactly the way I want. Every time I look at that car I smile. I've been driving it 3 years and it never gets old. It still gets looks from people and even though the S197 has been around a few years people still shout out: "hey man, nice car." I don't think the infinti will bring that same attention.

What do you ya'll think?
Time to grow and up sell the mustang? Then maybe when I'm 50 and the kids move out I can buy the GT500 I've always wanted?

Who knows? Decisions Decisions.
I think you have already answered your own question?

Quick Reply: Infiniti G37 just as good as mustang? (new baby coming)