Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of upgrading to a GT-should i do it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Reinforcements
1st Gear Member

Default thinking of upgrading to a GT-should i do it?

Right now I have an 07 V6 Pony Package with 16k miles. I found an 05 GT with 17k miles, in basically the same condition as my V6. I like the car, but it's been lightly modified already. It has a K&N CAI and some kind of Flowmaster exhaust (sounds great!). Are these modifications a sign that the car has been abused (my dad says it is, but with only 17k miles, i'm pretty sure the engine is fine)?

I think I should go for it. It's almost exactly what I want, and right in my price range. What do you guys think? Opinions would be appreciated.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:00 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

If the guy is really young than chances are it has been abused, but do you ever abuse your car? I sure do! But then again age doesn't matter all that much since there are 60+ year old people that I've seen abusing their cars (just a lot more rare to see that age group doing it vs. the young age group.) Mustangs are built (arguably) to put strain on the engines. K&N CAI adds only like 8 Horsepower, so I doubt that could be a huge sign, and Flowmaster makes nice sound... So perhaps he wanted a little edge over other V6's with his CAI, and wanted the sound...

Some people do much more than that to their cars and never abuse them. It all depends on the person.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:02 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

do it. you will love it. i had a 2006 v6 and traded for a gt in 07 (have an 08 gt now). i wanted the extra hp that the gt's already had instead of dropping 1000's on making the
v6 more powerful. as long as your not overstepping your bounds(in regards to the money) then i say get it. you will not be disappointed. good luck with the decision. and one more thing make sure there is a lil warranty left. with it being an 05 it might not have any left. since ford only does 3/36k.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:10 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

Life is short . GO FOR IT!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:23 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

I have to go with maxshuty on this one.... don't just get this GT because its a GT and you want one... look at the guys age and if he's young ask yourself what you would do at that age with a 300HP car.... just do simple things like look over the tires and check the tread depths, check the bounce in the shocks, etc, as all of these things can help identify if the car has been abused.....

Above all remember that next week an even better GT will come along so if your not certain on this hold off....
Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Reinforcements
1st Gear Member

Good points about the car being abused, but I forgot to mention that the car is at a dealership. I guess I could try asking who the previous owner was. I'm going to go look at the car again tommorow, and possibly drive it. Thanks for all the input so far.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

This abuse thing. Such a big gray area. Why buy a car targeted at performance and then not drive it hard at least once in a while?

What constitutes "abuse"? I think we can all agree that going WOT from one light to the next, EVERY light, is abuse. But what about going WOT once or twice every time you drive the car? What about consistently shifting at around 4500RPM vs. lower ranges?

What is abuse?
Old 11-03-2008, 12:38 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

If you can afford it.. and you want a GT.. than why not? Unfortunately, you never know what you are getting.. and I would be even more weary of buying an 05 mustang in general (first year with some bugs). How much are they asking? From what I hear.. you can get a new GT for a steal now a days.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Was the GT garaged? My 2005 has 15,000 miles and is barely broken in. Low miles like that could also be a sign the car was pampered.

And if it was driven hard, if anything was going to break, hopefully it would have happened to the previous owner. Get a carfax.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:58 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

we abuse are cars everyday and never have a problem with them
plus a K&N CIA means he didn't even get a tune and probually didn't do to much crazy stuff to did.

Quick Reply: thinking of upgrading to a GT-should i do it?