Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from Roush louvers to Silverhorse louvers

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Go with the SHR louvers, they will look great on your car .

OT...I noticed you added a flower, what happened to the avatar blinking ?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
peter north
2nd Gear Member

Im also thinking about switching from roush to shr louvers, but would the shr louvers look good with the roush spoiler? Im also thinking about doing a spoiler delete with the shr louvers.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:28 PM
peter north
2nd Gear Member

wheres the best place to get them beside shr.com do they have them pre-painted?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by peter north
Im also thinking about switching from roush to shr louvers, but would the shr louvers look good with the roush spoiler? Im also thinking about doing a spoiler delete with the shr louvers.
I know what you mean about the Roush spoiler... it looks great with the Roush louvers. Since I have the stock spoiler (pre-2007) I think the SHR louvers will look better with it than the Roush louvers do.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:03 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by peter north
wheres the best place to get them beside shr.com do they have them pre-painted?
A couple different places sell them like americanmuscle but not many sell them prepainted. I would save yourself a bunch of headaches and just buy prepainted from shr, they know how to deal with the painting of it. I know it seems pricey but the amount of change it adds to the car is well worth it trust me.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:05 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

i like roush ones but i dont get why they show the bolts that attach them...i wish there was a way 2 cover them
Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I just got my car out in the daylight after installing shr lovuers in my garage. HOLY ORANGE PEEL BATMAN!!!!

My car is black. Any imperfection is going to stand out. I get that. I bought these pre-painted. The perimeter of the louvers looks less than perfect - having only slight orange peel. The louver part, the part that slants in towards the car, has really bad orange peel.

I wish I'd have looked at these closer before installing them. I would have called SHR and discussed returning them. And before doing this again, I'd definitely talk to a local body shop which I trust (the one that pained my hood in my case) about having them to do this.

HOWEVER - I'm not sure its a no-brainer that a local shop would to a better job. Getting the orange peel off these or any other painted surface requires wet-sanding which is normally done with some kind of power sander made for auto body work. These louvers have small tight spaces that would require sanding by hand and I don't know if sanding by hand is going to produce a good result.

All that said, the overall situation isn't all that bad. Because of the angles and reflections, I'm not sure that a mirror finish on the louvered part is all that critical. The louvers represent broken lines from the rest of the car and offer a far different reflection than the rest of the car. So overall it still looks OK. Just not perfect - and enough to bug me if I think about it too much.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:53 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Girl....I think your ride would look great with the SHR louvers.....do it~!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:56 AM
jerseyblood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 300GT
I have the SHR louvers and absolutely love them (had the stick on louvers before that). Do yourself a HUGE favor though if you are going to get them - buy the prepainted ones from SHR. I went through 3 sets of unpainted ones with 2 different paint shops til I got a set done properly. Many shops aren't used to painting Lexan and are not going to take the time to properly mask off the louvers prior to painting. If you are a perfectionist like me, save yourself a lot of headaches and get them prepainted from SHR.

I have to go against the masses on this one. I ordered them prepainted and they were several shades off. It was sooo bad I had to have my paint guy fix them costing me more of my time and money. I have a tungsten stang and it looks like you do too.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:44 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jerseyblood
I have to go against the masses on this one. I ordered them prepainted and they were several shades off. It was sooo bad I had to have my paint guy fix them costing me more of my time and money. I have a tungsten stang and it looks like you do too.
That's discouraging. And yes, I have Tungsten. I wonder if anyone else has had that problem?

Here's a new question... our cabins are pretty quiet. Does installing these louvers change that?

Quick Reply: Going from Roush louvers to Silverhorse louvers