Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys with the Mcleod RST, need some info.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Default Guys with the Mcleod RST, need some info.

Whats up fellas,
After hitting up the track last night, with the new clutch broken in for 450 city-miles, I'm pretty sure I did bad things to it. I guess some clutches take a hell of a long break in period before you can start doing 2nd gear burnouts....

Anyways, after this fiasco (and I've had plenty of clutch fiascos) I'm thinking of just going big and getting the Mcleod RST twin disc. So here are the questions:

How long (miles) of a break-in period did you do before getting on it and it holding up?
How much chatter do you get with normal driving from a stop?
Any noise from clutch/flywheel at idle in neutral? With the AC on?
What flywheel are you using (steel/aluminum/brand)?
What shifter are you using? (my MGW just seems so damn notchy, thinking of going back to stock)?
If you are using the MGW, how much throw reduction are you using?
If you've been to the track, how has the Mcleod held up?
Did you replace the TOB? What TOB are you using?
Where is your engagement point with the pedal? High? Low? Do you like it?

MOST IMPORTANTLY- How is the shifting? Is it like a hot knife through butter? Any problems Power-shifting? or does it feel like you are jamming a square block through a circle hole?

I think that's everything...LOL
Old 11-06-2008, 02:30 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Come on fellas! Quit hording your valuable information all to yourselves!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:32 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

What were you running that you killed?
Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Well, first I had a spec 2+ and that sucked like all hell. Then I went through a stocker for a while. Then I had a competition stage 4, but that design ended up breaking my TOB, they had copied their design from spec which is flawed. Lastly, we tried using another competition stage 4 clutch with a stock pressure plate so we could get the right lengthes (the spec and competition clutch & pressure plate would not measure up the same as the stock). This setup felt pretty good, minimal pedal pressure, nice high engagement but had some notchiness in the shifts-maybe because of the MGW set at such a short throw. Anyways, I broke it for 450 and went to the track and did something bad to it after the first burn out. Now its nearly impossible to get into first and reverse-but actually still drives fairly well once going. Strange. I'm tired of all the hassle and am just trying to find a final solution.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:04 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

How long (miles) of a break-in period did you do before getting on it and it holding up? - 800 miles Probably overkill but it works.
How much chatter do you get with normal driving from a stop? - None
Any noise from clutch/flywheel at idle in neutral? With the AC on? None now but some during break in
What flywheel are you using (steel/aluminum/brand)?Mcloed Steel
What shifter are you using? (my MGW just seems so damn notchy, thinking of going back to stock)? MGW
If you are using the MGW, how much throw reduction are you using? Full reduction
If you've been to the track, how has the Mcleod held up? Never been but soon I hope
Did you replace the TOB? What TOB are you using? I am still using my stocker which had 16k miles when I put in the new clutch. IMO you should always replace it with a new OEM one during a clutch install. I wish I did but no issues so far.
Where is your engagement point with the pedal? High? Low? Do you like it? Mine engages high. Personally I would like it a little lower but I am used to it now.

MOST IMPORTANTLY- How is the shifting? Is it like a hot knife through butter? Any problems Power-shifting? or does it feel like you are jamming a square block through a circle hole?

Shifting is fine, I feel it is alot like the stocker. Sometimes I have a problem getting it into 1rst or Reverse but other times no. I asked Jay about it and he said it is a function of the clutch, shifter, and teeth on the gears in the trans. I can always muscle it in but I dont like to do it. Something I will have to live with I guess. Once I am in 1rst or Rev it shifts great between the rest of the gears. Considering all of the horror stories I hear about clutch installs on these cars, yours included, I am happy to put up with some stiff shifting into first. If you are interested in checking it out sometime let me know. I can always grab a beer at Waterford Lakes (alafaya) after work.

Good Luck
Old 11-06-2008, 04:04 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Come on fellas! Quit hording your valuable information all to yourselves!
And hey I dont live on this board you have to give me some time
Old 11-06-2008, 05:05 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Sucks that you still have clutch problems, but you know what also sucks??? Cleanup times at Orlando Speed World. A motorcycle did a wheelie, came down hard, spilled oil everywhere. Took them over an hour to clean that up. After the cycles were finished, they moved on to street cars. About 10 races in, an evo spilled coolant or something all the way down the quarter mile and beyond. That took another hour. During this time my car was trapped in the lanes waiting to go. I was there from 6:30 (my first race at 6:45ish) til 10:20 (my second race). Such a great night for racing spoiled by a motorcycle and an import. Not to mention the rotary engines that take 2-3 minutes to stage because of their ridiculous burnout, scoot forward, back-up, burnout again, go 100 ft past staging area, backup, burnout AGAIN, stage, then end up with either a mid to low 9 sec pass or 18 plus sec pass because of their terrible reliability. It's usually 50/50. I was so frustrated that I pulled terrible 60' times at ETs.

Had to vent, and I know how much you hate the rotary engines!

I say go for the new clutch. Might as well. What's another one after all that you've been though.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:07 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I may have to take you up on that beer soon!

Jay always makes it a point to let me know how much he hates my shifter.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:11 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Jasper,
yeah, my brother stayed there and told me about all the excitement that you guys had to endure. I really wish I could have made a pass, everyone I knew there was trapping about 2 mph more than they were in the past couple of monthes, I'm sure with a working clutch I could have hit at least 120.

What are you talking about? I love those rotarys and their chainsaw exhaust...... LOL
Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

How long (miles) of a break-in period did you do before getting on it and it holding up?

About $350 miles. It never slipped even with 550 tq

How much chatter do you get with normal driving from a stop?

None.

Any noise from clutch/flywheel at idle in neutral? With the AC on?

No noise with or without AC on.
What flywheel are you using (steel/aluminum/brand)?

Fidanza Aluminum. (If you want an aluminum I have another for sale)

What shifter are you using? (my MGW just seems so damn notchy, thinking of going back to stock)?

PRO 5.0
If you are using the MGW, how much throw reduction are you using?

If you've been to the track, how has the Mcleod held up?

Haven't been yet. Hopefully the 23rd. Sactown has probably made 20 passes with no issues.

Did you replace the TOB? What TOB are you using?

I am using the stock OEM throw out bearing. The RST was designed to be used with the stock unit. This info is directly from a tech at Mcleod.

Where is your engagement point with the pedal? High? Low? Do you like it?

I would describe my pedal as exactly like stock. Engagement, noise, feel and pressure. Keep in mind all cars are different. Even Sactown's is slightly different from mine.

Quick Reply: Guys with the Mcleod RST, need some info.