Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing starts your day off like a mod preventing you from driving...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:07 AM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Nothing starts your day off like a mod preventing you from driving...

Well that title probably is a bit extreme for this problem, but anywho...

So I went out to the car to head over to the gym this morning; start it up and it feels like its going to stall (in neutral) and then it like revs itself up for a second. So I turn off the car, turn it back on and same problem. Great, I think. So I pop the hood and at two points, my Steeda CAI has aparantly disconnected itself! So I grabbed a screwdriver and loosened the clamps and muscled it back into place and re tightened the clamps, but it appears as though the way the CAI is built, it's like trying to pull away from the engine, so it's constantly straining against the clamps (if you get what I'm saying), like it's going to eventually pull free again. I know this wasn't a big deal fix or anything, but now it's always in the back of my mind if I'm running late for somewhere and go out to jump in the car, is the CAI going to be half disconnected again?

Anyone else have a similar problem? I'm hoping this is just like a routine maintenance type of thing that you just have to tighten the CAI every couple of months to a year or whatever and not going to be a new problem.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:16 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

mines stayed on fine since ive had it
Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

I was reading another thread where someone mentioned a CAI coming loose but have to admit with the ones I've run I've never seen that happen.... I've had a cheap eBay one on a focus, a K&N one on a focus and now my S&B one on the Mustang and all fine, what I'd recommend is going down to auto-zone, pep boys, etc.... and picking up a new set of clamps spend a few extra bucks get a decent set then put them on nice and tight, it might be that the ones that came with the CAI aren't all that good and are loosening themselves to the point where the CAI can fall off.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:48 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Almost sounds like you have the wrong CAI on your car, are you sure they sent you the correct one? I've never heard anyone having an issue like that before and usually if you have to fight with something to make it fit it means its not the right part.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

My roomate has had his come loose. Steeda.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Yes. Mine has come loose a few times. I'm considering calling brenspeed and seeing if I can get the 1 piece elbow for it. The multiple pieces just keep coming undone no matter how hard I tighten or do it exactly as the directions describe. Which reminds me.. I aught to check the connections again on mine.. it's been a month..
Old 11-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i've had my filter come loose a few times. it's not the steeda, but i think a lot of them do this. just be careful not to overtighten it.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I've actually had it stay on longer by tightening it further than is recommeneded in the directions.. I believe they just don't want you to tighten it so hard the clamps rip into the rubber fittings.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Damm dudes, I have a BBK its a one piece ebow and it nevers comes loose ever!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:24 PM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

Wow, so this does seem kind of common. For the ridiculous amount of money I (and you all) paid for the Steeda CAI, it really should be pretty much perfect assuming one follows the directions, as I did. I think it's time for an email to Brenspeed.

Response from Brenspeed:
It is not necessarily normal but it has happened to a few different people
at different times. Taking the fact that we have sold hundreds of those
Steeda intake kits the fact that only 3 or 4 people have had their tubes
come off doesn't mean that it's a common problem. I would just reattach it
and put the clamps screw point at the side of the opening so there is plenty
of structure and you can tighten it real secure. Go ahead and keep a screw
driver in the car "just in case" but I doubt you will have a problem. You
can also just periodically check the clamps to make sure that they haven't
gotten loose.

Thanks
Well, on this thread alone, three people plus myself have had issues of the CAI coming loose, so I'm not sure if his count is entirely accurate. I drove the car into work today and so far no issues after I re tightened everything, but I feel as though periodically check and re tighten a $700 item is not really a good solution...
Seth Gann

Last edited by DJStile; 11-07-2008 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Nothing starts your day off like a mod preventing you from driving...