Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

breaking news for auto owners!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:56 PM
sharkbait20
2nd Gear Member

Default breaking news for auto owners!

ok... well i got around to calling TCI today and i asked them about the Streetfighter ratchet shifter. GREAT NEWS: they said it should be coming in NEXT WEEKKKKKK!!! YIKESSSS. dont know how true it is but hopefully this is not a tease. After shipping, it should be about $400. anybody wants to start a collection fund for me, ill be more than happy to do the install in full detail with pictures.

only problem, im not sure if i want to trade the car in for the 2010 or later year or keep the 07.... my buddy might be able to get a hellion setup for close to nothing.... ugh, decisions decisions
Old 11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Not1My1Fault
2nd Gear Member

so what does it do?
Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Interesting. A ratchet shifter is very welcome for the 5r55s.

On another forum, someone from B&M said they're close to releasing theirs (for real!).

For those that don't know, a ratchet shifter allows you to manually shift your auto with positive stops. So as you know right now, when you select 1 to 3 the shifter just glides between them smoothly and doesn't click into any of the gear selections. The ratchet shifter allows you to "ratchet" the handle and click into each gear.

This may or may not help with performance in a drag due to good tuning, but it sure makes the car more responsive and more fun on the street.

There's videos on youtube showing mustangs with B&M ratchet shifters I'd recommend for viewing.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

if you need to manually shift, just get a real manual.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Not1My1Fault
2nd Gear Member

Auto>manual
Dont hate
Old 11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

Exclamation

ugh its personal perfence
Old 11-07-2008, 04:56 PM
leo_06gt
2nd Gear Member

I've got an Auto and I agree it's a stupid mod. It's never going to compare to a stick shift. I think this mod is for posers or people that don't feel quite secure with their choice of auto tranny. Way to much money for something that doesn't help performance. I'd see this as more of appearance mod than anything else.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:45 PM
73 Sportroof
2nd Gear Member

I just want one to replace the plastic toy shifter that is in it now.

The only thing I don't like on the car.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

I honestly wouldnt mind it but I dont think i would pay 500 for it.... I need to see it in action first.. it would be awesome if they made a manual without a clutch haha I just can't imagine have to use a clutch/gas/brake in Los Angeles traffic..... but on the way home I do manually shift sometime its loads of fun never had a problem misshifting because I couldnt stop moving the shifter just be careful and dont plow through it because it wont stop... lol
Old 11-07-2008, 06:53 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

It is true I wish I had a manual but what's done is done.

Something like this may not help drag racing performance with the 5r55s, but it DOES help performance for the street. The auto in D is sluggish as **** and always wants to be in 1 or 2 gears to high. When I manually shift my auto not only is it more fun but I get much better sound and street performance.

Plus manually shifting an auto is like having a clutchless manual. You get to shift but don't have to worry about messing with a clutch all the time. You get the best of both worlds. If someone doesn't want to shift their auto, fine, but some of us like it and want to.

Calling us "posers" is just plain ignorant and stupid. Have you ever heard of an auto (like the 4r70w) with full manual valve body? modaddict has a setup like that. I guess he's a poser too.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 11-07-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: breaking news for auto owners!