Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Unlimited Car Washes
44.44%
Car Cover
18.52%
Both
37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Car Cover vs Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 12:16 AM
2Stangs
I ♥ Acer

Default Car Cover vs Car Wash

Ok, here's the deal, I can buy a car cover or unlimited car washes for a year for about the same price. Actually, the car cover is about $50 more than the year of washes. If you had this option what would you do?

Note: I don't have a garage, and don't have a place I can really do my own car. I like to have a clean car, and cars get so dirty down here in San Diego.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:37 AM
JC74
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Car Cover vs Car Wash

I say carwash because even if you own a car cover your car will still be dirty from normal use. Unless you have trees/birds that get crap all over your car would I consider the cover.

I am curious how many people who have car covers ACTUALLY break it out and cover their car at the end of the day, every day, for 4-5 years. I'm not lazy but to me that's a little too ****.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:22 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Car cover. You will be PISSED if you or someone else drops something on it. A car cover will offer some protection against this and bird droppings ect. As for car washes, you were planning to keep her very clean all time anyway correct???
Old 05-27-2005, 02:29 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I would also have to say that in your case the car wash is probably the way to go. I personally am hesitant about taking my GT to ANY car wash. I wasn't so concerned with my Mazda but there were lots like it. If they put a scratch on my hard to find Mustang I'd be too pissed off to see straight! But then I have covered parking at my home and at work, so I plan on getting a car cover (figure about $160) and then washing the car myself every other week or so.
If I had to leave my GT outside I would take advantage of the unlimited car wash deal and inspect it before and after each weekly visit. I don't know about your cost but here in LA a visit to the car wash can be anywhere from $10 - 14. that could mean $520-728 annualy. And they often miss a lot of dirt when vacuuming the inside.
So I'm spending the money on lots of Meguir's stuff, a California Duster, etc.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:33 AM
2Stangs
I ♥ Acer

Additional note: Car wash pays for its self if I use it once every 2 weeks. I was washing my car 2-3 times a week. As soon as it got dirty, or even had a spot bigger than what I wanted to use my towle for, it was washed. I pass the car wash when I leave work. It isn't out of the way.

I'm headed towards getting both for the fact of being able to cover it at public parking places.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:39 AM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

I cover mine every night, of course I only drive my 'Stang a few times a week. It's in the garage, but my stupid cat will jump on it with her claws and jack it up.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:50 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

CATS![sm=shootshoot.gif]
Old 05-27-2005, 11:38 AM
mrbmp
I ♥ Acer

CATS! [sm=shootshoot.gif]
My thoughts exactly, there are no cats left in my neighborhood for some reason???
Cats are EVIL [sm=lildevil.gif].

I never let anybody wash any of my cars/ bikes, but I see you dont have a way to do it yourself.
Are there any do it youself washes around?

Old 05-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Cats aren't the problem where I live.... BIRDS are a Big problem both were I live and where I work... Where I live we have Doves.. they crap all over everything... Where I work we have Geese... They crap Human Kid sized terds and LOVE to sit on the soft tops of convertables.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:12 PM
2Stangs
I ♥ Acer

Washes would run about $500 a year, and the place I would get this done at did my first mustang all the time so I know they do a good job. I just had to wash it all the time because it rained for about a month after I got my car.

There are do it yourself places, but I don't like the materias they use at those.

Quick Reply: Car Cover vs Car Wash