Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood cracking, need paint ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Unhappy Hood cracking, need paint ideas

Hey guys i have a problem. I have a carbon fiber hood and aparently when you put hood pins on, you are supposed to take the latch off? well anyways it started to crack a little bit in the clearcoat as well as in the CF where i have marked in the picture. So, the guys at the shop said i need to patch that up with some kind of compound (putty) and paint over it or else it will continue to crack. So, they said i will have to paint black over the red circle area. Any ideas of any kind of paint pattern that wouldn't look stupid in that area? Any suggestions help.
Attached Thumbnails Hood cracking, need paint ideas-need-fix.jpg  
Old 11-11-2008, 12:02 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

you could prob dremal it out and put some clear coat in it and wetsand and buff...
Old 11-11-2008, 12:36 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I have never heard anyone say that if you put hood pins on your car to remove the hood latch. The hood pins should be installed in such a way that when you close & latch your hood, your hood pin is sticking through just enough where you should only have to apply very little pressure to slide the hood pin latch through the hood pin hole.

As far as repairing carbon fiber, I'm not too sure how that is done because of the carbon fiber pattern.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06elnr
you could prob dremal it out and put some clear coat in it and wetsand and buff...
What is dremal it out mean? what would that involve?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

You would still keep the latch although you might want to adjust it a bit lower. If you removed it altogether there would be nothing stopping thieves from popping your hood.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:38 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

It originally started cracking because i didnt have hood pins and it was putting stress on the hood where it attaches to the latch. Now the fibers are cracking there in a small spot. He said i shouldnt had a latch, but i guess he is wrong
Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

never heard of taking the latch out either when putting hood pins on either... still have my latch and my hood pins clear the hood... i was thinking of getting the CF hood too but now i'm thinking about problems with the CF....
Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Honestly, I would just paint the whole hood. I hate the look of carbon fiber on panels as large as the hood, but don't mind it on something small like a chin spoiler.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:56 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Maybe a flaw in the design?
The striker for the hood latch is bolted to the brace witch isn't connected to the outside skin...

I suspect that the vents opening are creating too much lift for that area that's cracking.
That means it will keep cracking even if you paint the damn thing.
I hate for you to spend a whole bunch of cash for paint and all, and be back to square one after the expense.

Take the car to people that work on Vettes or boats and see if they can work a remedy for you.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:02 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

+1 on what pascal said! dremal is a small grinding tool that you can grind the spot out with so you could fill it.

Quick Reply: Hood cracking, need paint ideas