Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I go about modding wisely?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:19 AM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

I say knock out the big purchase first and then nickel and dime your way on the small things. I'm doing all my performance stuff at once and right the first time. These are very helpful when it comes to modding. They save you a lot of time and money.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

congrats on the decision. you cant go wrong with gettin blown. enjoy all the new found power buddy
Old 11-12-2008, 09:57 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
If I put 1 3/4" headers on while NA, will I face major problems? I plan on going FI within a couple of years or so. I've heard that 1 5/8" are good for NA, but I don't want to be stuck with inadequate headers when the time finally comes to put a blower on. Should I bite the bullet now and get 1 3/4" or should I stick with the 1 5/8" and upgrade later?
I have read 1 5/8's are superior until about 550rwhp-600rwhp. Some have lost with headers though. IMO if you are going FI, I would stick with the stock manifolds. I am making 484rwhp without them.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

+1 get the blower first and go from there. That way all the mods support your real goals and you arent wasteing money.

I put my Whipple HO on at like 7k miles and have loved every min since.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
+1 get the blower first and go from there. That way all the mods support your real goals and you arent wasteing money.

I put my Whipple HO on at like 7k miles and have loved every min since.

Good luck.
Good deal. So you got the Whipple put on stock? Did you find that you had to upgrade a lot to support the newly-gained power from the blower, or did the install kit take care of most of that?

Thanks everyone! I have tentatively "planned" this to happen in the early/mid spring around March or April when I have successive days off for semester breaks. I will be taking video and pictures like crazy as well.

DE to IN is 655 miles and about 11 hours. I guess I'll have to drive the stang all the way there...bummer :P
Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

good choice. you won't waste money now on mods that'll becoming off for the blower. good luck on the trip.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:28 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Good deal. So you got the Whipple put on stock? Did you find that you had to upgrade a lot to support the newly-gained power from the blower, or did the install kit take care of most of that?
congrats on deciding on the SC. you can upgrade other things that will help supporting the new power like drivetrain, suspension, you might also want to look into gauges to monitor how the SC is working.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Thanks everyone! I have tentatively "planned" this to happen in the early/mid spring around March or April when I have successive days off for semester breaks. I will be taking video and pictures like crazy as well.

DE to IN is 655 miles and about 11 hours. I guess I'll have to drive the stang all the way there...bummer :P
Yeah I when I put in on the car was stock except an axleback. At the time I was using an 8psi pulley to be nice to the stock components and clutch.

Once you have the power you just start upgrading other parts of the car.

My current mod list is:
Gen 1 Whipple HO @ 10psi
RST Clutch
O/R H pipe
BMR Adj LCA's
BMR Fixed UCA
CHE Adj Panhard bar
Roush Rear springs
Innovative A/F gauge
Autometer Boost gauge
Aeroforce interceptor gauge
SOS gaugepod
Roush ventpod
Custom catch can setup
Shorty antenae
VMP Dyno Tune

Soon mods -
Hi flow cats (dont like the sound of O/R pipe on this car.)
Alum D/S
D/S safety loop
new wheels
305/45/18 DR street tires
Hood pins

Once I have that stuff my DD is complete.

Power in Sig.

See
Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 PM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

Default How do I go about modding wisely?

I plan to go FI in about a year. Before I go FI the plan is to get two mods Aluminum D/S and short throw shifter. I'm keeping the exhaust stock for now, because what I want out of this car the exhaust will not make much difference. I went to ford and they said they would install the Saleen or Whipple and it would not void my warranty. Think I will get the Saleen so I can keep my Bullitt CAI and strut tower brace.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:44 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

damn you guys all make it tough! supercharge or not? i live near pittsburgh, pa. and get to drive the car about 7-8 months of the year!! i hate reading all this!!! haha!!!

Quick Reply: How do I go about modding wisely?